Research prior to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutdokta

Get some!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a few searches and couldn't find a definitive thread on the topic so I'm wondering how big of a factor is research during the med school years when it comes time to apply for residencies. As we all know, life is full of hoops you sometimes have to jump through. Is research one of them at this point in life (med school)? I was involved in research during undergrad mostly cuz I thought it seemed like an interesting career, and I stuck with it after deciding on medicine since it looks good on applications (one of those hoops). I know that for trying to get into med school having some good quality research experience can really make you stand out, but is it the same when it comes to applying for residencies in the military? Lifes a **** and if the guy next to me is gonna hop on the research band wagon just so he can stand out a little higher than me and get the residency he wants, well then dammit I'm gonna do the same so I can be up there with him, such are the realities of life these days.

Members don't see this ad.

You know there is a website that i saw on how they evaluate you for residency and it seems like they give you points based on what you get on boards, grades etc. there was a category for research there too so i guess if u have some research under your belt= more points they give you= higher competitiveness for residency. i dont remember website name i thing its something like militarygme.org or .com or something. i have it bookmarked on my laptop but i dont have it with me if u want i can post it later. it also has all residencies available and # of spots

Granted I don't know your credentials I was hoping for more of a "yes/no, research is/is not necessary because blah blah blah..." Something with a little substance, perhaps something from a current/former resident who did/didnt do research during med school, hell I'd even settle for someone that knows someone who told them something about research and military residencies.

any one else??....its ok Tired you dont have to chime in again, I know you probably put a lot of heart and effort into the first response....I wouldnt want you to have to do that again.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Granted I don't know your credentials I was hoping for more of a "yes/no, research is/is not necessary because blah blah blah..." Something with a little substance, perhaps something from a current/former resident who did/didnt do research during med school, hell I'd even settle for someone that knows someone who told them something about research and military residencies.

any one else??....its ok Tired you dont have to chime in again, I know you probably put a lot of heart and effort into the first response....I wouldnt want you to have to do that again.;)

Like the poster above Tired said, military GME applicants are scored by a point system. If you have research as a med student you get a point, if you dont then no point. If you and another applicant are exactly the same except he has research and you dont then he has one more point and he gets the spot and you dont.

I attached the 2010 scoring guidance or you can google JSBGME selection and the first hit should be a PPT presentation by an AF Major explaning the process

Attachments

• Score sheets and Scoring Guidance.pdf
    179.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Research is a criterion in the military match calculus, along with things like quality of medical school, grades, step score(s), and prior military service. Because many of these components tend to either be fixed (medical school, prior service) or relatively even across a specialty's applicant pool (grades, step scores), research tends to be a principle discriminator between similar applicants. In this sense, it is no different than the civilian match; it's just quantified and standardized in the military.

By the way, you have to have published in a peer-reviewed journal to have it count, and you max out your points at two publications.

So basically, research helps distinguish you, but mainly from other medical students. There is a ceiling. If you publish a ton, don't expect to be selected over a physician who has just spent four years in GMO land.

Okay, let me lay some truth on you:

(1) Your question was basically, "Does research make you stand out as a residency applicant in the military?" Well gosh, what do you think? Do you think that doing something extra that many others don't do might make you a more appealing applicant? When you were applying to med school, did you ask questions like, "Does holding a leadership position in a student organization make you a stronger applicant?"

(2) You don't bother to specify what speciality you're talking about, so you pretty much prevent anyone from offering subject-specific advice. Some specialties/locations basically don't want residents who haven't done research. Others don't value it as highly.

(3) Usually questions like this come from people who (at least seem to be) mediocre medical students, wondering if the military is an easy way to get into a more competitive field. I find that a little annoying.
puhleeeeease. the people that actually responded went off the same information provided to you and gave some good info as a starting point for me to go off of. I do like how you put more effort into defending your pathetic response though. And as for your #3 up there, you shouldnt assume anything about people that you in no way know. I find that a little annoying.

Last edited:
By the way, you have to have published in a peer-reviewed journal to have it count, and you max out your points at two publications.

I would add to this, make sure you can speak (with some genuine knowledge/interest) about your publication, during interview rounds. Nowadays its very easy for the PD interviewing you to look up the paper and ask you about Figure 6, and why the error bars are this way or that way. If you can speak to it, you'll look like a rockstar. If you can't, you'll look like the schmuck that was thrown on the paper as a 6th or 7th author, b/c you fogged up a mirror.

Okay, I'll just tell you what you want to hear then: All military residencies are really easy to get into. You don't need to work hard or do anything extra. You're basically a lock for Neurosurg or ENT or whatever you want.

Feel better now? Hope so.
well see, now youre just being condescending and acting like a jerk. Not really necessary, but with your awesome post record and all the years you've been on SDN why should you have to attempt to answer any type of question that isnt explicitly detailed and contains all that you need in order to even attempt to answer it. If the question didn't appeal to you in the first place you shouldnt have bothered even clicking on the post reply button.

It did appeal to me, and I did answer it. Sorry you didn't like the answer you got. Good luck.
Fair enough and good luck to anyone that gets answers from you, God knows they're gonna need it.

.....the luck that is.

Last edited:

Last edited:
This right here is accurate, there was a reply, it just wasn't sufficient for that dude. Oh well, can't please everyone.

And to help this guy so he doesn't ream me out like he did to you, yes, I have a friend who had much better chance at a military residency simply due to some research he did, he had built some connections through it.:thumbup: Good luck.:thumbup:
I wasn't reaming anyone out....you've strayed from the lounge, guess they need to get a new leash.

Last edited: