Research Professor Writing a "Science Professor" Letterof Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anisole

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior seeking to apply to Med School next summer.

Prior to joining the lab of my professor, I took his course (Physiology) and got an A.
I was not really well-acquainted with him, in fact I never showed up to his office hours though I attended all his lectures. The following summer after taking his course I emailed him and expressed interest in the research work he does. He was gracious enough to interview me for the position and let me join the lab.

I see this professor almost every day now. I am a volunteer in his lab and have been for the past year. This summer I've been volunteering full-time on a project.

Is it okay to use this professor for the "science professor" letter of rec requirement? He knows me much better as one of his research undergrads rather than a student but I am seriously struggling to find another science professor to write me a rec. By nature of the degree I am pursuing (Economics) I will not be taking any STEM courses for the entirety of my stay at university. I did not make an impression on any other science professors for my pre-reqs except for my gen chem 2 professor who will serve as one of my two science prof. requirements.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds 1000% like the science professor you should get a letter from. I think most students who have done research get a letter from the professor they did research with, and it is assumed that the relationship was more solidly formed during research than it was in a large lecture hall.

I'm trying to figure out if there is some reason you wouldn't consider this person a viable letter writer...sounds like a slam dunk.

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds 1000% like the science professor you should get a letter from. I think most students who have done research get a letter from the professor they did research with, and it is assumed that the relationship was more solidly formed during research than it was in a large lecture hall.

I'm trying to figure out if there is some reason you wouldn't consider this person a viable letter writer...sounds like a slam dunk.

Oh no, not at all. I was wondering if the content of the letter itself is based on me being a researcher rather than examining my role as a student would nullify it from being considered a science professor rec because to me he's been more of a mentor than a professor in a classroom.

But I guess I'm just being neurotic<

Thanks for the reply!