Foot Fetish

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Due to factors outside of my control (sluggish/unresponsive collaborators), my two research projects are totally stalled, and the new ones I was hoping on starting are being abandoned. My pubs/presentations/abstract count still sits at zero, and I am starting to abandon any hopes I had of matching into dermatology. My Step 1 score is the only variable entirely in my control, but even if I get my goal score of 260+, it will be worthless without any pubs.

Time to start considering alternative specialties?

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is one of the reasons why everyone told you not to spend your entire summer on this-- research often is slower than hoped for even under the best of circumstances.

You don't have to give up your dreams of derm-- after all there are people who decide to start pursuing derm third year-- but keeping an open mind would be a good idea.

Honestly, it's a good idea anyway-- I know a lot of people who switched specialty choices during our third year.

About the Ads
OP
Foot Fetish

Foot Fetish

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student
What’s wrong with just prioritizing ur efforts on step and class and taking a research year?
Nothing is wrong with that per se. I'm just anxious to get going with my life, so I'd rather not delay.

tymont12

7+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I had similar thoughts when my summer research kept getting stalled. There's nothing you can do, just push forward and work on projects as time permits. Also, 3rd year provides clinical vignettes and other smaller stuff so hop on that when you get there.

Honestly, most people I know matching Derm took a research year. It's not the end of the world.

Reactions: Goro

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Aren't you just starting M2? You still have plenty of time to get things published before ERAS in spite of slow collaborators. If you have time and motivation but your other projects are getting torpedoed find something else to work on.

Anti-PD1

Neurosurgery :)
2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nothing is wrong with that per se. I'm just anxious to get going with my life, so I'd rather not delay.
Taking an extra year to get into derm... is that not worth it? Do you want derm or do you WANT derm?

Also, ask around. Plenty of clinical research opportunities everyone ignores.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Due to factors outside of my control (sluggish/unresponsive collaborators), my two research projects are totally stalled, and the new ones I was hoping on starting are being abandoned. My pubs/presentations/abstract count still sits at zero, and I am starting to abandon any hopes I had of matching into dermatology. My Step 1 score is the only variable entirely in my control, but even if I get my goal score of 260+, it will be worthless without any pubs.

Time to start considering alternative specialties?
Welcome to research. Family medicine for you.

OP
Foot Fetish

Foot Fetish

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Don't rely on step 1 going as planned either. @failedatlife
The good (and, for some people, bad) thing about Step 1 is that your performance is almost entirely in your control. Unlike in research, where you can ride on the coattails of your collaborators or, in my case, get bottlenecked by their incompetence, in Step 1 you have no one to blame (or thank) but yourself. Sure, there is some element of chance in terms of what form you get on test day, but for the most part you get what you put in...and I'm putting in a lot right now. I'm not saying I will reach my goal score. All I'm saying is that I know myself very well, and if there is one domain where I am likely to do very well, it's standardized test-taking. It's always been that way for me, and I've no reason to think it will be any different now. The fact that Step 1 emphasizes memorization (my strong suit) more so than previous standardized tests that I've successfully taken (SAT, MCAT) only strengthens my conviction.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Dermpire

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unlike in research, where you can ride on the coattails of your collaborators or, in my case, get bottlenecked by their incompetence
I know it feels that way when things are delayed and you're frustrated, but in reflecting on which of my classmates had productive research careers almost without fail those who put in the time and effort were the ones finishing with multiple first author publications. Again, you have 2+ years to get this part of your CV in order. The only surprising thing here is that you thought you'd be pumping out first author papers at the beginning of M2.

About the Ads