PhD/PsyD research psychologist software recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I've got a little bit of extra training fund money sitting around for this year, and I'm looking for suggestions of software (or other things) that would be a worthwhile investment. I'm currently completing a research-focused postdoc in a medical school, and will be applying for faculty jobs this fall. I've got all the statistical software I need, and I'm not looking for a task manager/to-do list app.

Been toying around with the following:
Systematic review/meta-analysis software
Reference managers (currently using Sente, which isn't being updated any longer)
Therapy notes/practice management software (if I ever decide to see clients)

Suggestions, recommendations, things-to-avoid all welcome! Also, I have a Mac (but can run a Windows emulator if the software is worth it). Looking for things in the < $300 range.

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into EndNote for managing references and bibliographies. I've been using EndNote off and on since graduate school (ie, > 10 years) and the functionality continues to improve over time. The price point is within your range.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've used CMA before, and it did what I needed it to do, but I have a Mac and I'd really prefer not to have to use Parallels every time I need to run software. I believe the main software used at my institution (and supported by our library) is Distiller, which I've heard good things about? Not sure whether it does the same amount of actual numbers-crunching as CMA, or whether it's more a review management/data tracking tool.

I just found that CMA was a bit of a pain to get all the numbers. For instance, getting the within/between Q statistics is a bit of a trick since it hides those. You can copy 3 rows and paste it in excel, suddenly it shows you everything but it's just not very user oriented imho. Perhaps I'm just novel at how to use it and that is all clearly laid out, but I've missed it somehow.

Anyway, that's another topic.