Research Publications and Abstracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbayne04

Shake and bake!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those involved in research (past/present): When is it appropriate to list publications/abstracts- only if you're the first author? if you're listed as AN author? If you participate in an abstract presentation, but are not the primary author?

Does anyone know the "rules" or have advice for listing publications and abstracts for medical school applications? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

jbayne04 said:
I have a question for those involved in research (past/present): When is it appropriate to list publications/abstracts- only if you're the first author? if you're listed as AN author? If you participate in an abstract presentation, but are not the primary author?

Does anyone know the "rules" or have advice for listing publications and abstracts for medical school applications? Thanks!

As long as you are AN author, be it 1st or 8th, you should definitely put it down.

jmnykrkts said:
As long as you are AN author, be it 1st or 8th, you should definitely put it down.
I agree. I also wrote which author I was, first, second, etc. because that gives them an idea of how significant your contribution was. If it's your AMCAS, you can use the activities space to do this. If you're writing an essay for your secondaries, you can explain the work you did in a paragraph or two, and then say: We have published (submitted) a manuscript describing this work on which I am the first (second, eighth, whatever) author in (to) the Journal of Awesome Research.

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
I agree. I also wrote which author I was, first, second, etc. because that gives them an idea of how significant your contribution was. If it's your AMCAS, you can use the activities space to do this. If you're writing an essay for your secondaries, you can explain the work you did in a paragraph or two, and then say: We have published (submitted) a manuscript describing this work on which I am the first (second, eighth, whatever) author in (to) the Journal of Awesome Research.

:laugh: Slightly off-topic, but I totally want a subscription to the Journal of Awesome Research. Would be fascinating reading, I'm sure.

TheDarkSide said:
:laugh: Slightly off-topic, but I totally want a subscription to the Journal of Awesome Research. Would be fascinating reading, I'm sure.
I'll send you a copy of the issue my article appears in ;)

TheDarkSide said:
lol, you guys are in luck. They give free access at their website: www.journalofawesomeresearch.org ;)

Thanks for your most helpful replies! I am going to subscribe to The Journal of Awesome Research as well.

jmnykrkts said:

If we are talking about med school applications you put them all down. Even if you are a middle author, it at least says that some people like you enough to give you some credit or courtesy. In real life, however, you get very little benefit from being other than first or second author, and most will not be particularly impressed with other than one of those positions.

I just used one of my 15 AMCAS activities entries, named it "Publications, Presentations, and Abstracts" and entered all works I was ever involved with as they would appear on a CV (which shows which author I am).

I think it is important to show all the projects you have been involved with and that you have seen them through to the end. But also, make sure you were really a main player and can explain in detail your involvement and the purpose of the research. Because if you are a published, this will definitely be a main topic in most interviews.