research publications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you have a research publication on the internet? If so can SDN make a place or a new research website where students can have there research published and other students can see what they did and see pictures of there research project, The SDN Moderators will have to approve first before it can be published on the website?

Do other people agree if so how can we make this happen?

Does anyone know of another website that does this?

Members don't see this ad.

hellodoc said:
Can you have a research publication on the internet? If so can SDN make a place or a new research website where students can have there research published and other students can see what they did and see pictures of there research project, The SDN Moderators will have to approve first before it can be published on the website?

Ummm...no thanks. I am sure that your school will provide you with plenty of opportunities to show/present on your research. I know that I wouldn't want to place my research project on SDN, especially since a lot of the anonymity of these forums would be lost.

In terms of a website doing this, check out your local university department and see whether they give opportunities for students to make poster presentations, presentations to the department, etc.

hellodoc said:

Posting your research on a student run website is not what is meant by published research. Check out PubMed to get an idea of what publications are:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Members don't see this ad :)
hellodoc said:

You cannot be serious. Seriously. Seriously?

Wow,
Monette

www.jyi.org journal of young investigators, undergraduate run and peer-reviewed.

southpaux said:
www.jyi.org journal of young investigators, undergraduate run and peer-reviewed.

I'd be curious to know the impact factor of this journal, if its impact was actually measured.

hellodoc said:

Other than the reasons that other ppl have already mentioned as to why this would be a bad idea, I don't think that many of our PIs would want their studies "published" on SDN. Maybe you're not aware, but if you publish something somewhere, that's it. It can't legally go anywhere else. If your study produced worthwhile results at all, your PI prob spent a lot of grant money in allowing you to complete it...so it wouldn't really be fair to him/her for you to put your unpublished data on a public forum and thus risk either plagiarism or someone using your premise and methods in a more elegant design and getting to a journal faster than your lab.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with discussing research ideas and even general results, esp. if you're excited about it. Personally, I have a hard time shutting up about my research once I start talking about it. You just want to watch when/where/with whom you discuss these sorts of things.

If you have been doing research you'd like to discuss (and aren't just doing it so you can cross off the "research" check on your med school admissions to-do list), then definitely mention your area of interest and people with similar interests can PM you. If you're neuroscience, PM me! :D

This sounds like some undergraduate fantasy version of show and tell...Do you just want to do this so you can say that you have a "publication" on your application? Do some real reseach and send it to a peer reviewed journal. The big boys publish in Cell, Nature, and Science. Get there.