Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Influence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This maybe a really dumb question so forgive me if it is.

Is it unethical to do a case study/report on yourself? I had an extremely unusual case and a couple of my physicians threw the idea out there but I'm not sure if that would be ethical. However, I haven't seen anything that suggests it wouldn't be.

Thank you for any input

Members don't see this ad.

This maybe a really dumb question so forgive me if it is.

Is it unethical to do a case study/report on yourself? I had an extremely unusual case and a couple of my physicians threw the idea out there but I'm not sure if that would be ethical. However, I haven't seen anything that suggests it wouldn't be.

Thank you for any input

Why would it be unethical?

Definitly not unethical but what do you mean really by a self-case study?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scrotum skin and elbow skin are supposed to feel the same.

That's not unusual.

:D

Why would it be unethical?
I'd imagine because of personal bias? Am I incorrect?

Definitly not unethical but what do you mean really by a self-case study?

An account of a very unusual case with abnormal presentations that is still virtually unsolved. My mentors are physicians and have agreed to help if that means anything. I've never written a clinical case study before so I admit I am new to the process.

confirmed case of SDNopathy?

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's probably ok.

Bias alone isn't enough to classify something as unethical. You might be attacked on methodology and drawing inappropriate conclusions from the study, but it's a stretch to be accused of being unethical IMO.

I think it's probably ok.

Bias alone isn't enough to classify something as unethical. You might be attacked on methodology and drawing inappropriate conclusions from the study, but it's a stretch to be accused of being unethical IMO.

Hard to be attacked on methodology in a case report.

If your mentors/physicians will hlep you out then go for it! Definitly sounds unique. :)

Reactions: 1 user