Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the posts lately about people posting their stats and experience. I have noticed that most people have science research (meaning lab research) experience that subsequently figures into their decision to want to become doctors. Is it absolutely necessary to have lab research experience to show one's gravitation towards science? I am doing research this summer in Ecuador with a grant that I received from the University medical school. It is a combination of health, anthropology, and music and is aimed at aiding an indigenous community in Ecuador by further understanding their culture (particularly in terms of music). The research will help out the medical students in Ecuador who typically go to these areas and who suffer from lack of clinic attendance by the indigenous peoples. I have been working assiduously on planning the trip and afterwards plan to write a paper and ideally submit for publication in the upcoming Fall Semester (I may also go back next summer if things work out well).

My question is: should I do lab research if I'm planning to apply to medical school? I am thinking about applying to some top-20 medical schools, particularly because they have many international health connections (I want to do international health work in the future). Is lab research pretty much a pre-requisite for these schools? Or would my ethnomusicological/health research be sufficient given the amount of time/effort I've put into it? I haven't gotten involved in lab research in the past two years because I have been heavily involved in the start-up of two other organizations (not medically related). I was thinking about possibly doing lab research next year (3rd year) but am not sure yet do to all my other commitments. I have a lot of clinical experience, volunteer experience, and a decent GPA (3.7, haven't taken the MCAT yet).

All honest opinions are welcome and thanks for listening. :D

Sachin

Members don't see this ad.

SachinG:

It seems like the work you are doing is commendable and by no means does anyone HAVE to do lab research in order to gain admission to medical school. The stats and experiences of the typical SDNer are much higher than even the average acceptee. My suggestion is to continue engaging in your field research and any other experiences that interest you. DO NOT try to follow the cookie-cutter SDN resume; be unique and know you are setting yourself apart by participating in the work in which you are currently involved. Lab research will only help if it is something you really want to experience. It is not a pre-req for admission!! Good luck :D

I my opinion, nothing is wrong with doing lab research, and also, nothing is wrong with not doing it as long as you are doing something productive. It seems as if you are very involved with other things, so I would not worry about it to much. If the opportunity arrises where you can participate in a project that interests you, you should definately do it! Otherwise, I wouldnt worry about it to much. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I guess my question now is whether the lab research portion of the "SDN cookie-cutter resume" :) is required to gain admission to top-20 medical schools given that many of them are highly research oriented?

I bet the admissions committee will get a kick out of your summer research in Ecuador. It will make you stand out. Beats bench research period. I was never crazy about research as a component of medical school applications (even though I did it for six years). It doesn't really do you any good unless you get a publication or a sparkling recommendation out of it. Otherwise, you can learn more in organic lab. You summer activity sounds like a perfect composite of medicine, spiritual enrichment, and fun. Bon voyage!

Thanks brickmanli :) On a side note, Jim Brickman is pretty smooth, so nice User ID.