Zymogen

Sweet Like Bear Meat
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
Think of it as making you unique! (which is good)

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Research is research. There's one guy on here who grinds up and chemically analyzes vegetables for his research, so I wouldn't worry about your project being frowned upon. ;)

About the Ads

mychelle774

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
Houston, TX
Status
Pre-Medical
Research doesn't have to be medically related. What makes it worthwhile (to med schools) is that you were genuinely interested in the topic and that you were dedicated to it. Sounds like you've got it made in that dept. :)

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
gapotts2003 said:
If it had to do with the scientific method and problem solving then you got everything you needed to out of it...
:thumbup:
And adcoms will love it -- especially the funding... they love students who are able to get funding.

Get something published and you are golden.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DropkickMurphy said:
Research is research. There's one guy on here who grinds up and chemically analyzes vegetables for his research, so I wouldn't worry about your project being frowned upon. ;)
Hey that's me!

Yeah man, I think doing research on a topic that is interesting to you is more important. I really enjoy my plant research and I fill like I can have an intelligent conversation about all of the things we did to get our results. I think that is the most important thing about any EC, it is great to talk about on a secondary or put on amcas, but when you show up for an interview and your face lights up when the interviewer mentions your project, that means something.

If you can be passionate about what you're doing then that is most important, so stick with the lake research and enjoy it! Plus, 5,000 dollars is nice!

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LizzyM said:
:thumbup:
And adcoms will love it -- especially the funding... they love students who are able to get funding.

Get something published and you are golden.
By funding, do you mean stipends, or actual grants? I have been receiving "grants" of a sort from the university for my research pretty much every semester. I haven't considered applying outside of the school for funds because I didn't need it.

Another thing I always wanted to ask you was, do you think a publication in the preceedings on NCUR (national conference on undergrad research) could be considered a "publication" in the sense people use it on these boards? Or does it need to be a scholarly peer reviewed journal?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
DoctorPardi said:
By funding, do you mean stipends, or actual grants? I have been receiving "grants" of a sort from the university for my research pretty much every semester. I haven't considered applying outside of the school for funds because I didn't need it.

Another thing I always wanted to ask you was, do you think a publication in the preceedings on NCUR (national conference on undergrad research) could be considered a "publication" in the sense people use it on these boards? Or does it need to be a scholarly peer reviewed journal?
Applying to some group (internal or external) proposing a specific study & getting funded (even if it is just a $5,000 stipend for summer work) is sweet. Just getting paid out of an investigator's grant is ok but not impressive.

Scolarly peer reviewed journals is what we mean by publications.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LizzyM said:
Applying to some group (internal or external) proposing a specific study & getting funded (even if it is just a $5,000 stipend for summer work) is sweet. Just getting paid out of an investigator's grant is ok but not impressive.

Scolarly peer reviewed journals is what we mean by publications.
Got ya thanks!

About the Ads