Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jash0624

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at a lab for the past year now, and I've just about finished my project, save the write-up. In doing some of the lit-search for this project, I found something else I'd really like to investigate but I really really really don't want to stay at this lab, and I don't think we have the equipment needed, anyways. I don't know what lab would be right for it, but I guess I could just look around and find one. My question is though: Is it feasible as an undergrad to apply to a lab with a project already in mind? Should I do a more extensive lit search and write up a general idea of what it is I want to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it might be possible if the lab you find is investigating a similar question to the one you're interested in and even then, it may be not as easy. The investigators may be reluctant to allow you to use their supplies that they buy on their Grant $ if you're not working on part of their project. I know a few pipetts here and there, a few occupied flasks and solutions, an occupied machine from time to time may not seem like a big deal to you, but to them it may be. If you're really interested in completion of such project, maybe talk to your investigator to order supplies? At least this way, you've got a lab and people there know you, as opposed to coming to a brand new environment with own ideas. Just my opinion... Best wishes!

I think it might be possible if the lab you find is investigating a similar question to the one you're interested in and even then, it may be not as easy. The investigators may be reluctant to allow you to use their supplies that they buy on their Grant $ if you're not working on part of their project. I know a few pipetts here and there, a few occupied flasks and solutions, an occupied machine from time to time may not seem like a big deal to you, but to them it may be. If you're really interested in completion of such project, maybe talk to your investigator to order supplies? At least this way, you've got a lab and people there know you, as opposed to coming to a brand new environment with own ideas. Just my opinion... Best wishes!

I would have loved to stay at this lab, but some personal matters between a post-doc and I have made it pretty impossible for me to have a good experience staying here. Basically I need to just write my part and get out. Thanks for the wishes!