Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leed2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just finished up my second year and I have one year of research experience in plant biology. I was wondering if it matters what type of research that you do? I was told my freshmen year that it doesn't matter (so I chose something that I thought would be interesting), but now my prehealth advisor told me that it does matter. So my question is, should I continue with my research or look for research in the health sciences? Thank you.

David

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I just finished up my second year and I have one year of research experience in plant biology. I was wondering if it matters what type of research that you do? I was told my freshmen year that it doesn't matter (so I chose something that I thought would be interesting), but now my prehealth advisor told me that it does matter. So my question is, should I continue with my research or look for research in the health sciences? Thank you.

David
It doesnt matter...Why would it?? Do what you would enjoy more.

Well, would continuing with the plant biology research help your app? Absolutely.

Would finding human health research help your app?
Absolutely.

Would finding human health research help your app more than plant biology research?
Entirely possible. Depends on the nature of the work.

:luck: to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, would continuing with the plant biology research help your app? Absolutely.

Would finding human health research help your app?
Absolutely.

Would finding human health research help your app more than plant biology research?
Entirely possible. Depends on the nature of the work.

:luck: to you.
probably not...since youve already done plant for a year...you ar emore likely to ge ta pub or a couple posters if you continue that..

I think it can be argued that showing you can stick with something for multiple years counts for something. Maybe you won't cure cancer, but you're "doing science" so that has to be worth something.

the skills you learn are what's important.

plus, you've been working at this for a year already, so you've got a pretty good grasp on the plant bio project. as a result, you'll probably get greater project involvement and have a better shot at getting a publication/poster out of it.

i'd say to stick with it, especially if you enjoy it. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your help. :D :D