research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro nephrons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the best way to respond to a question asking you about your research if you don't have any thus far? I am applying to some programs for the summer and want to know how to best answer it

should i even both if I don't currently have any research under my belt or publications?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You might say that you don't have any research experience in a work setting but have covered many common biological (or whatever) techniques during your lab work as required by your major. For example you could say that you are familiar with PCR, blotting, mass spec, etc (even if only on a very basic level).

Are they looking for applicants with research experience or lab skills or just wanting to know if you have a background in any type of research?

For the former I'd just tell them that you don't have any of that type of experience and as the post above says that you do have lab experience and are a fast learning (something to that effect). And for the latter I'd just say you have none and thats exactly why youre applying. period.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into a SURF program with no prior lab experience. Just communicate your enthusiasm and how the courses you have taken have really stimulated your interest in bench work.

If you don't get in just wait until school comes around. Email grad students asking if they need help. I've found they are much more receptive to this than most people think (especially if you're in the same department).