research requirements in med school!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dulcina

=)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm trying to narrow down my list of schools that I'm applying to, and one factor is required research. MSAR says that these schools have required research, in one way or another:

UCSD
U of Colorado
Yale
Duke
Albert Einstein
Case Western
UPenn
UPitt

Does anyone know anything about the length of each of these "research projects", the time required, whether it feels too overwhelming on top of the other parts of medical school, or any other details? Websites and MSAR are remarkably unhelpful for this sort of stuff.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So i'm trying to narrow down my list of schools that I'm applying to, and one factor is required research. MSAR says that these schools have required research, in one way or another:

UCSD
U of Colorado
Yale
Duke
Albert Einstein
Case Western
UPenn
UPitt

Does anyone know anything about the length of each of these "research projects", the time required, whether it feels too overwhelming on top of the other parts of medical school, or any other details? Websites and MSAR are remarkably unhelpful for this sort of stuff.

Thanks!

At Duke, it is not so much exactly a research requirement, although most students do choose to do research to meet the "scholarly project" requirement for third year. You can either spend 10 to 12 months doing research or you can pursue another degree, such as an MPH, during the third year. There are a few other choices. As for specific requirements that you have to meet with the research that you may choose to do, you'd have to refer to their website.

ahh yes, duke is the funny exception =)
how do you feel about all the sciences being in year 1? Did you feel super rushed, or was it ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you feel about all the sciences being in year 1? Did you feel super rushed, or was it ok?

I would love to go to Duke if only for that reason. Unfortunately, I did not do any research in undergrad and didn't make a 39 on the MCAT, so I didn't get in. There are some very helpful Duke students in the Dukes Anonymous thread who would be happy to answer that. Femalescan'tdrive comes to mind.

UW has a research component as well. Pretty easy, just fit it into the summer

Most required research is BS you could pull off in a few days to a week. But you'd be shortchanging yourself if you did that.

http://www.med.yale.edu/facres/index.shtml

people take research quite seriously here, for the most part. the last few classes have done their research theses projects in:
clinical/transitional ~45%
basic science ~40%
global/public health ~10%
humanities & arts ~5%

some do very little, spending only the 3 months between 1st and 2nd year doing research. others use this time plus some of their elective time in the 4th year. yet others do a 5th year of funded research to delve more deeply into the project of their choice. the school is very very supportive of student research and people get a lot out of it. i'm starting in the lab in 1 month - exciting!

UCSD
U of Colorado
Yale
Duke
Albert Einstein
Case Western
UPenn
UPitt

Thanks!

Bear in mind that most competitive residencies like to see research these days, so most med students will do some research regardless of where they go. The majority will do research over the summer after first year. I probably wouldn't try to choose a med school based on which one allows you to avoid research, because you may ultimately find you really are interested in a field that expects it.

I'm a current Duke student. Doing everything in one year is AWESOME!!! I would hate to waste two years in the books.

At Duke, you get to do a full year of research and still graduate in four years. You get to take Step 1 of the boards after having a full year in the clinics, unlike any other school that I'm aware of. You also have the option of taking Step 1 after your third year, during which you have plenty of time to revisit the material from first year in the context of your second-year clinical experience, so I think being at Duke is a HUGE advantage for Step 1.

And if that's not enough, you can also take advantage of your research year to work at a location where you may want to do your residency and do some networking there.