SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

research, research, research!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by pre-doc, Dec 9, 2001.

1. pre-doc

pre-doc Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I apologize if this is a topic that has been discussed before ad nauseam, but as i am new, i figured what the heck. My question is, how important is research to residency directors? does it depend on the residency you apply to? I mean, i am an M2 (i am 23 years old), i am married and i work each saturday and any days that i have off. I have found little time to do research and to be honest, it isn't for me anyways. Any advice would be appreciated!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pags

pags Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 28, 2000
    I would say that research is most important for the more competative residencies. So, if you planning to be a dermatologist, or maybe ophtho or even now, radiology, I would do something in their respective field. But in general, research is not prerequisite for most residencies.
  4. navs

navs Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Hey guys,

RESEARCH importance, hmm??

Definetly must agree with what was said about need research to compete for top specialties.

BUT don't forget that if u do research and apply for less competitive specialties it looks EVEN BETTER!!

Think about it, having research and applying for a competitive specialty becomes more of a prerequisite becuase everyone has it on their CV. But applying to less comp. specialities, there is a good chance u will be a select few who have that on their CV.

ALSO, research in ur field of applying to, shows: 1. Dedication to that field and 2. That u are interested in going into academics which all PD's want to hear.

SO, I don't think u can go wrong doing research!!

Just my thoughts.