1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

research, research, research!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by pre-doc, Dec 9, 2001.

1. pre-doc

pre-doc Member
    7+ Year Member

I apologize if this is a topic that has been discussed before ad nauseam, but as i am new, i figured what the heck. My question is, how important is research to residency directors? does it depend on the residency you apply to? I mean, i am an M2 (i am 23 years old), i am married and i work each saturday and any days that i have off. I have found little time to do research and to be honest, it isn't for me anyways. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would say that research is most important for the more competative residencies. So, if you planning to be a dermatologist, or maybe ophtho or even now, radiology, I would do something in their respective field. But in general, research is not prerequisite for most residencies.

3. navs

navs Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys,

RESEARCH importance, hmm??

Definetly must agree with what was said about need research to compete for top specialties.

BUT don't forget that if u do research and apply for less competitive specialties it looks EVEN BETTER!!

Think about it, having research and applying for a competitive specialty becomes more of a prerequisite becuase everyone has it on their CV. But applying to less comp. specialities, there is a good chance u will be a select few who have that on their CV.

ALSO, research in ur field of applying to, shows: 1. Dedication to that field and 2. That u are interested in going into academics which all PD's want to hear.

SO, I don't think u can go wrong doing research!!

Just my thoughts.