Research Resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomeone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

The professor I want to research with has asked for a resume from me and wants me to include a summary of my experiences and the courses I have taken thus far.

So far, my resume has a very simple format - a little too simple for my liking...that includes my contact info, education, work experience, volunteer experience, skills, and hobbies. By simple I mean that I feel as if there is not enough detail.

How can I...

-elaborate without unnecessary details?
-incorporate the courses that I taken so far?

Should I include...

-clubs/organizations that I am in at school?
-extracurriculars from high school (ones that were relevant to science, I have zero research experience)?

Lastly, is there any other information that I should include? Is there a good sample resume out there that I can follow?

Oh, and another question. Do you think he would mind the fact that I took some science courses from the school I transferred from in freshman year?

I greatly appreciate any feedback,
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should include courses relevant to your research (if it is lab research, then you definitely want to highlight any course you took that had a lab). You may also want to highlight specific techniques you are familiar with -- gel electrophoresis, polymerase chain reaction, amperometric titration, stuff like that. Make sure to include computer skills and program familiarity, typing speed, and things like that. And since research is an academic endeavor, I would be sure to include your GPA and any academic awards you received.

For coursework, all you need to do is put "Relevant Coursework:" then begin listing the courses. I would probably include the grades, especially if you did well in them (B+ or higher).

Since this is for a lab specifically, I would include: your college and maybe high school GPA, a brief description of lab techniques you're familiar with and relevant courses you've taken. I wouldn't include your ECs since a PI isn't going to care.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Very few people are going to have substantial research experience to mention.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN,

The professor I want to research with has asked for a resume from me and wants me to include a summary of my experiences and the courses I have taken thus far.

So far, my resume has a very simple format - a little too simple for my liking...that includes my contact info, education, work experience, volunteer experience, skills, and hobbies. By simple I mean that I feel as if there is not enough detail.

How can I...

-elaborate without unnecessary details?
-incorporate the courses that I taken so far?

Should I include...

-clubs/organizations that I am in at school?
-extracurriculars from high school (ones that were relevant to science, I have zero research experience)?

Lastly, is there any other information that I should include? Is there a good sample resume out there that I can follow?

Oh, and another question. Do you think he would mind the fact that I took some science courses from the school I transferred from in freshman year?

I greatly appreciate any feedback,
Thanks.

dame, I feel really lucky right now. All the profs I talked to said that they would be happy to accept me in their lab even though I will only be a freshman.

To ans your questions: Yes include clubs and relivent hs activities. Include leadership positions and special skills (computer skills for ex). This (http://www.wellesley.edu/cws/students/resume_alau.pdf) might be a good templet. You can find a lot more by searching for resume templets on google. I dont think it would matter that you took classes at another University.

Good luck
p.s. Talk to 4 or 5 diff profs so you know who you would be most compatable with.

Hey, thanks for the responses guys! Btw, I'm an incoming junior in the fall.

Evergrey Problem with listing the individual grades is that I have one really ugly grade among well, good ones. :scared: I'm a little worried that it will affect me somehow. Would it be better if I just sum it up in gpa? And should I provide a brief description for each course?

ColeOnTheRoll The thing with the ECs is the fact that I'm in my school's emergency squad, which I'm not sure will or will not affect his decision on accepting me into his lab. I feel like its important to include in a regular resume haha :D The sci related EC in HS are the lab dissections that I've done with a 4 year internship...which may or may not help.

@ both Uhm, about listing lab techniques that I am familiar with...its been a long while (a yr due to seats and sci courses w/o labs) since I've had a lab (very very rusty). Although I have used these techniques in HS as well as in college. The professor that I've requested to research with is a bio prof and his research seems to be more involved with using anatomy, math, and computers...well at least thats what it seems. I feel like omitting the lab techniques stuff since I feel that he'll gather that through reading what courses I've already taken and because of the fact that I've long forgotten them.

nisarg2010 Thanks for the template! Hope you don't mind if I use it :) Yea, I'll definitely email other professors if I get rejected from this one.