research schools want to see research activity as most meaningful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ycf06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
research schools want to see research activity as a most meaningful activity?

It was meaningful, just as meaningful as some of my other involvements. But I do have a lot to say about my research exp. and will include it if not having it=not interested in research=research schools not wanting me.

not a big fan of having to pick three most meaningful activities.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are having trouble finding things to say about a certain experience, then it probably is not as meaningful to you as you think.

If you try to represent your research as your most meaningful while that's not how you truly feel, you risk coming off as artificial in your application, which is more of a concern in my book.

This is the first year that applicants need to identify 3 "most significant" experiences so I really don't know how the broader membership of the adcoms are going to take to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not necessary you have to pick 3. Make sure the ones you do pick ARE meaningful though, not just chosen to fill a quota

This is the first year that applicants need to identify 3 "most significant" experiences so I really don't know how the broader membership of the adcoms are going to take to this.

Does your Adcom have a meeting where they go over this and discuss it?

From what I hear some schools have been doing this already in the years past on their secondaries. So I guess for them it'll be business as usual.

Not specifically, but as they review applications, some may comment on it in writing. Then when we discuss applicants after interview, it may come up in conversation.

Thank you

I would sooner bet against a research-heavy school knocking an applicant because they listed three other more meaningful experiences, especially since not all top research schools are looking for heavy research in every applicant. If one has multiple or extensive research experiences listed, I can see allowing them to stand on their own on the application and listing different activities as meaningful. That said, if research is a major part of your application or goal for your career, it seems to me that it would follow that your research experience to this point must have been meaningful, right? But again, you may have had more meaningful experiences, and from your descriptions, secondaries, and PS, I can see the importance of your research experience shining through regardless.

what if you've done a lot of research before but you're not sure you want to continue it into your career? in fact...probably not. i want the majority of my time to be with patient care. i'm afraid this will make me more attractive to research heavy schools but i'm also afraid to tell them in the interview, for example, that i'm not sure how much more I want to do...thoughts?

what if you've done a lot of research before but you're not sure you want to continue it into your career? in fact...probably not. i want the majority of my time to be with patient care. i'm afraid this will make me more attractive to research heavy schools but i'm also afraid to tell them in the interview, for example, that i'm not sure how much more I want to do...thoughts?

As the Genie said to Aladdin, "Be yourself". Would you be a good fit at a school where they are constantly directing students toward research opportunities, announcing funding opportunities, offering mentoring sessions with physician-investigators, etc at the expense of offering opportunites to explore issues in patient care?

As the Genie said to Aladdin, "Be yourself". Would you be a good fit at a school where they are constantly directing students toward research opportunities, announcing funding opportunities, offering mentoring sessions with physician-investigators, etc at the expense of offering opportunites to explore issues in patient care?

haha, i really like that answer. SO TRUE.

AMCAS has been trying to "perfect" the character limit for the activities/work section for the past few years. This is just another iteration of this attempt, and I think it would be more useful to both applicants and the adcom to de-emphasize the significance of "checking the box" and see it more as a way of expanding upon an activity.

Placing a magical check to make the activity suddenly be "meaningful" is quite a silly notion.

AMCAS has been trying to "perfect" the character limit for the activities/work section for the past few years. This is just another iteration of this attempt, and I think it would be more useful to both applicants and the adcom to de-emphasize the significance of "checking the box" and see it more as a way of expanding upon an activity.

Placing a magical check to make the activity suddenly be "meaningful" is quite a silly notion.
I kind of take it as an opportunity to expand upon what you've written for three activity descriptions, and the "this is a meaningful experience" deal is just to make sure people know not to list more meaningless BS for an activity they think needs more explanation but isn't important to their application.