Research Seminar and Scheduling Dilema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plzNOCarribbean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I will be a graduating senior and I have a particular dilemma about the spring semester. So far, I have a 3.79 cGPA with a 3.91 sGPA and I will be graduating in spring. I have significant clinical and non clinical volunteer experience (volunteered in ER of 2 hospitals, volunteered at food bank, volunteer with abused/neglected kids) and I am currently a tutor at my school.

However, I have no research experience. A really good opportunity came up to where I could do research with a prof for my last semester as an independent study (4 hrs) analyzing proteins on bacterial membranes. I thought this would be good since i have no Research, even though i tried to get into 2 neuro labs and a stem cell lab with no avial. Here is my spring schedule

-neurobio
-neurobio lab
-cell bio lab
-molecular biology
-cellular biology
-Independent study (1 hr or 4 hrs)

I can either drop the molecular class and do the 4hrs of research,the guy teaching the molec is my PI, OR i can stay in molecular and instead of doing the research go to 2 seminars a week and right a cumulative paper at the end of the semester for 1 credit hr. Option 2 seems much easier, but what should I do? I need the 4 hrs of UD bio credit, so either one will suffice.

I also plan on taking the MCAT, which i've already studied for during the summer and didn't take due to a low verbal score. Which is why I might lean towards option #2 but i think research could really help me be a much better overall applicant. As far as grades, I have an upward trend with a 4.0 the past 3 semesters, taking 17,18, and 17 hrs respectively. I started out college with a 3.21 gpa my first semester and a 3.45 second semester.

I am not trying to troll about my grades. I would just really appreciate some advice from those of you who have applied or done research. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
So I will be a graduating senior and I have a particular dilemma about the spring semester. So far, I have a 3.79 cGPA with a 3.91 sGPA and I will be graduating in spring. I have significant clinical and non clinical volunteer experience (volunteered in ER of 2 hospitals, volunteered at food bank, volunteer with abused/neglected kids) and I am currently a tutor at my school.

However, I have no research experience. A really good opportunity came up to where I could do research with a prof for my last semester as an independent study (4 hrs) analyzing proteins on bacterial membranes. I thought this would be good since i have no Research, even though i tried to get into 2 neuro labs and a stem cell lab with no avial. Here is my spring schedule

-neurobio
-neurobio lab
-cell bio lab
-molecular biology
-cellular biology
-Independent study (1 hr or 4 hrs)

I can either drop the molecular class and do the 4hrs of research,the guy teaching the molec is my PI, OR i can stay in molecular and instead of doing the research go to 2 seminars a week and right a cumulative paper at the end of the semester for 1 credit hr. Option 2 seems much easier, but what should I do? I need the 4 hrs of UD bio credit, so either one will suffice.

I also plan on taking the MCAT, which i've already studied for during the summer and didn't take due to a low verbal score. Which is why I might lean towards option #2 but i think research could really help me be a much better overall applicant. As far as grades, I have an upward trend with a 4.0 the past 3 semesters, taking 17,18, and 17 hrs respectively. I started out college with a 3.21 gpa my first semester and a 3.45 second semester.

I am not trying to troll about my grades. I would just really appreciate some advice from those of you who have applied or done research. Thanks!

I would strongly consider doing the research. There won't be many opportunities to do it once you graduate until you get into med school, and having that experience will let you decide whether or not you enjoy. Not to mention the added boost on your med school application.

agree with the previous post. I would suggest you to be involved in research :thumbup: work hard and you might end up publishing a paper with your professor which would absolutely look great on your applicaiton. plus your letter of recommendation from your professor would be stronger too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, but what about the mcat. I could use the time in lab to actually study for that test, which I am a little nervous about since I have been stumped once by the verbal :scared: . I know my sciences (well sorta) because I got a 10+ on the BS on my first PR test, and I brought my PS from a 4 to a 10 during the summer. its just my verbals were like 4,5,6's....which I know, is terrible.

And I was practicing during the year but I got slammed by tests/labs/lab finals/ and now finals the last month and have really been slacking. I read the economist and that seemed to help a little. my goal is to read that each day + EK verbal review over the break.

but yeah I agree, research would really cement my app if I get a good mcat, and that is my biggest dilemma and problem.

Also, will a semester of research look bad, since its not long term?? especially since its my last semester at this school

A semester of research is better than nothing at all. I also think that you should really keep in mind the amount of hours you need to spend studying for the mcat (which is more important).

A semester of research is better than nothing at all. I also think that you should really keep in mind the amount of hours you need to spend studying for the mcat (which is more important).

yeah. I know thats the thing? I can manage tough courseloads, but is it worth the risk/reward. Everyone I talked to (here and on school) seems to be guiding me towards the research.