1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Research? Specializing? Masters Degree?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Hysteria24, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have been accepted to a masters program at my current school where it would take me only 1 additional year after undergraduate graduation to complete my masters in Biology. Since I am interested in a dental career, a masters degree in biology would not directly benefit my career in the long run (ie. would not do anything for my practice).

My question is, how much of an impact would a masters have if I decided to specialize? As of now I have no specific intention of specializing, however would like to have a good opportunity to do so if something during dental school sparks my interest.

From the things I have read so far, you need to be in the top 5-10% of your class, have great test scores, and they also look for research experience. Now do they look specifically for dental research, or would two years of Biology research and a thesis paper be adequate, and possibly even stand out?

I just need to know if it is worth the extra year of time, and the extra expenses to improve my chances to specialize or would it be insignificant compared to my class rank and test scores. I?m not saying that they will be low, but if admissions is based 95% on those stats alone, I am thinking the work put into a masters would be a big sacrifice just to improve the other 5% of my application.

Let me know what you think.
    :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. racemic01

racemic01 Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I've heard, class rank and board scores are extremely important for endo, ortho, and OMS. I take that to mean 90-95% of what gets you an interview are your numbers.

Many students do basic science research while in dental school, so you may be able to just do it before hand. My gut fealing however tells me that they want to see the research you did while in dental school and not before dental school. Then again, if you've got a masters it's obvious you've done your fair share of research.

I guess I don't understand what your situation is. If you are getting a masters to improve your chances of getting into dental school, I'm sure it will help a lot. And if you are doing it because you enjoy research, that's understandable and you may be interested in a DDS/DMD PhD. However, if you are getting a masters to improve your chances of getting into a specialty program, I don't think it will help out much in the long run. It seems like "a big sacrafice just to improve the other 5% of [your] application."

It's an interesting question though and I'm sorry I really don't have an answer. You should post this in the dental forum. I'm sure the dental students and dentists could give you a good answer.

Good luck though! Are you definitely doing the masters? I'm sure it will be a great experience.

4. DBEAR

DBEAR Member
    10+ Year Member

Research is important if your class rank and board scores are low. You do not have to be in the top 95% to specialize. For ortho you probable should be in the top 10% but I know people who still got in with lower scores. All the other specialties you need to be in the top 25%. Endo really likes you to have previous experience. Perio likes you to have research. And OS and pedo look more at your personality. Also, It is who you know. Pros and pedo you can be in the upper 50% and still get in somewhere. Goo luck