Research? Specializing? Masters Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to a masters program at my current school where it would take me only 1 additional year after undergraduate graduation to complete my masters in Biology. Since I am interested in a dental career, a masters degree in biology would not directly benefit my career in the long run (ie. would not do anything for my practice).

My question is, how much of an impact would a masters have if I decided to specialize? As of now I have no specific intention of specializing, however would like to have a good opportunity to do so if something during dental school sparks my interest.

From the things I have read so far, you need to be in the top 5-10% of your class, have great test scores, and they also look for research experience. Now do they look specifically for dental research, or would two years of Biology research and a thesis paper be adequate, and possibly even stand out?

I just need to know if it is worth the extra year of time, and the extra expenses to improve my chances to specialize or would it be insignificant compared to my class rank and test scores. I?m not saying that they will be low, but if admissions is based 95% on those stats alone, I am thinking the work put into a masters would be a big sacrifice just to improve the other 5% of my application.

Let me know what you think.
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.