Research starting now..but I'll applying in the summer!?

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all.
I was approached by a PhD student of our Chemistry dept to help in his research. But, it's so late in the game since I'll be applying for med schools this summer for 08 matriculation. Is this worth it? If I get into it, I figured I'll be getting an excellent recommendation since he picked me without me even applying for the position. But if I'm applying this June, I'll only have like 3.5 months of this experience. Is this long engough? Otherwise I have no other research experience.

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello all.
I was approached by a PhD student of our Chemistry dept to help in his research. But, it's so late in the game since I'll be applying for med schools this summer for 08 matriculation. Is this worth it? If I get into it, I figured I'll be getting an excellent recommendation since he picked me without me even applying for the position. But if I'm applying this June, I'll only have like 3.5 months of this experience. Is this long engough? Otherwise I have no other research experience.

If you continue all the way up 'til interview season you'll have tons of experience to talk about.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hello all.
This is a simple choice:

Does the topic interest you?
A. Yes, it does and therefore you should do it.
B. No, it does not and therefore you should instead focus on a small non-blinded study of the effects of C2H6O on your own.

About the Ads

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This is a simple choice:

B. No, it does not and therefore you should instead focus on a small non-blinded study of the effects of C2H6O on your own.

:laugh:

ryanl

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This is a simple choice:

Yep if you like it and want the research experience, do it.

By the time applications and interviews come around, you'll have enough experience that it will 'count' for something.

Green Pirate

Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
yeah I agree. From what I hear, research isn't just something to slap onto your application... it's something that will hopefully give you a talking point during your interview as well. Also, if (heaven forbid) you don't actually get into med school this cycle and you decide to try again the following year, you could continue the research for a full extra year, perhaps even get a paid position.

All signs point to yes IMO

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I see. Thanks for the inputs. It is a paid position. Does that look better than a non paid position in the application?

ryanl

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Nah, doesn't really matter. Except that it puts cash in your pocket, and it lets you spend more time doing research since you don't necessarily need another job.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Researching on campus instead of working lets you talk to the professors and get good recommendations. I'd also recommend TAing. These are all things that prevent you from working all day long somewhere else and getting no access to professors. So if you work on campus you can get decent money and reap the benefits.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.