Research Technician Job vs Volunteer Research Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatbout2morrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I want to gain some meaningful research experience, but I'm not sure which way to proceed. So far I've come across two options: applying for part time research technician jobs or trying to find someone who will let me volunteer as a research assistant.

Here comes the dilemma. I currently work full time as a hospital pharmacy technician at night. I've requested to go part time, I do not know when that might happen. I also work PRN at a retail pharmacy, but I will be resigning from this job by the end of summer. I wish to take 12 credits in the fall and get involved in some extracurriculars and volunteering. Is it possible to keep my current job and work part time (~20 hours) as a research assistant, take 12 credits and pull of volunteering and ECs also? Or am I better off trying to find a volunteer research position and limit myself to ~10 hours of research volunteering a week? What if I were to go part time at my hospital pharm tech job? Leaving my job at the hospital is not currently an option (as I am the sole breadwinner of my family and really need the more; it pays better than the research technician jobs around here).

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Do whichever one gives you the better research experience.

I wouldn't get caught up on titles, research technicians jobs can be anything a job a in research CORE facility where you just run a certain assay for many different labs to being a part of a research lab and having your own project. Likewise volunteer research assistant could mean anything from data-entry/glass-wash to interacting with clinical trial subjects to having your own project. (These are all examples from my personal experience).

Interview widely, take the PI's promises with a grain of salt, and see what you can land.