research time for hpsp students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DatInterviewDood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do hpsp, I will likely do officer training after m1. This would take away research time, unless I can defer this training until after m4. Will lack of research productivity during this time hurt me? Will I have to make up for research during other parts of m1-m4?

Members don't see this ad.

unless you want a hyper competitive residency I wouldn't sweat research.

--your friendly neighborhood they're stuck with you like you're stuck with them caveman

Reactions: 1 user
Research does factor in to residency decisions. It's in the scoring algorithm as extra points. However research that you can theoretically get done in a very short amount of time like a case report or a short poster presentation counts for nearly as much as an entire summer of research. I would try to get something like that done but you shouldn't need a whole summer. (Unless maybe if you are trying to do something research intensive like Rad Onc)

Members don't see this ad :)
--your friendly neighborhood they're stuck with you like you're stuck with them caveman

haha this one was good!

@SirGecko

Other than for the top tier stuff like ENT/ortho/rads, will some research work & posters be sufficient? Civilian or not, I don't foresee myself getting pubs. I'm currently thinking primary care or anesthesia.

haha this one was good!

@SirGecko

Other than for the top tier stuff like ENT/ortho/rads, will some research work & posters be sufficient? Civilian or not, I don't foresee myself getting pubs. I'm currently thinking primary care or anesthesia.
What you want is something that produces a deliverable product that you can list on your application. If you can get it published you get more points than a poster presentation. I would say getting a minimum of one poster presentation is a good idea and should be fairly achievable.