kjj17

5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

I'm an M1 and I have several years of research under my belt, mostly in neuroscience, but I would love to get involved with cancer research. Also, I am currently interested in clinical oncology in the future, although I know I may well change my mind over the next few years.

Anyhow I was talking to a friend in M3 who is taking a research year after M3. He hasn't started choosing a lab yet-- he said he's waiting until as late as possible, to experience more clerkships, because he wants to make sure his research will be in the field he will eventually enter.

So my question is this: I know that obviously it looks better if your research is in line with your eventual field, but how much does it matter if it isn't? Does research still look good even if it isn't related? Assuming that the eventual field is not a super competitive, research-heavy one (I don't see myself going into one of those. I'm most interested in Oncology right now but I'm also interested in IM in general, other subspecialties, and perhaps EM or peds. I know none of these will be super competitive in terms of research)

Thanks!

Reactions: tyrsa

TBV

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

I'm an M1 and I have several years of research under my belt, mostly in neuroscience, but I would love to get involved with cancer research. Also, I am currently interested in clinical oncology in the future, although I know I may well change my mind over the next few years.

Anyhow I was talking to a friend in M3 who is taking a research year after M3. He hasn't started choosing a lab yet-- he said he's waiting until as late as possible, to experience more clerkships, because he wants to make sure his research will be in the field he will eventually enter.

So my question is this: I know that obviously it looks better if your research is in line with your eventual field, but how much does it matter if it isn't? Does research still look good even if it isn't related? Assuming that the eventual field is not a super competitive, research-heavy one (I don't see myself going into one of those. I'm most interested in Oncology right now but I'm also interested in IM in general, other subspecialties, and perhaps EM or peds. I know none of these will be super competitive in terms of research)

Thanks!
Oncology transfers to most specialties as you can get cancer anywhere. I don't think it is important as far as I have heard so far it matters more that you are productive in your research rather than in your final destination field.

Reactions: kjj17

snowpea28

ASA Member
Mar 9, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are several fields in which research within the field help notably plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery and dermatology- some may also add ENT.

Other than that, there is no true need to do research in your future residency field. In fact, there are many that believe even for the four specialties written above, as long as you have a publication from any specialty that it will be a +1 on your application.

Personally, I did not do research in the field I ended up matching in. I had a pediatric mentor that I loved and was productive with so I did research with him through medical school. This difference in fields was never commented on in my anesthesiology resident interviews.

Reactions: kjj17
OP
kjj17

kjj17

5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
thanks so much for both of your input :) I'm currently a published 3rd author on one paper and one manuscript currently under review, but hoping to get a bigger involvement for an upcoming project