Research Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluffo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a student current on a pre-med track. I decided to start participating in research and have to opportunities.

The first opportunity is in a lab researching invasive species. The second opportunity is in a microbiology lab studying bacteria. I know that microbiology looks better, but I am more interested in the invasive species research. Will it matter much if I chose the invasive species one over the microbiology? Will it affect my chances in the long run?

Also, it's not that I am not interested in the microbiology lab, it's simply an interest to a lesser degree.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Friend did research in physics and got accepted to harvard medical school. The advice running on SDN is that it doesn't matter what type of research you do, rather your level of participation matters.

Friend did research in physics and got accepted to harvard medical school. The advice running on SDN is that it doesn't matter what type of research you do, rather your level of participation matters.

This is completely true.

If you can see yourself getting more experience/responsibility at a lab you aren't necessarily in love with, I recommend you do it anyway because of its practical value come application time.

I did research in computational chemistry. Completely unrelated to biology or medicine. Just do what you are interested in - that's all that medical schools want to see.