Research Track M.D. programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalminute

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am familiar with UT-Southwestern and their research track, and I understand that the Lerner Program at Case is similar . Yale has a 5 year M.D. + Masters . Are there other schools that have such a program? I have a great interest in academic medicine but right now I am doubting my resolve to do a full M.D./PhD. program and then a long residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Almost every school, at the very least, has some sort of research available. If you really want to end up in academia and feel that your 4 years has not provided you with an adequate amount of research, there is always the option of taking a year off to do dedicated research.

I second this question. Are you thinking of splitting your time between practice and research, or do you want to do pure research?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with noskill - almost every school has some type of program like this - I think it's the Msc where you spend one year dedicated to research and get some kind of Master's in Research Science. I have a friend that is deciding between Pitt and UMich right now for such 5th year programs. Many of them also offer scholarships or fifth year stipends like a PhD program would.

But as Legato said, you may want to figure out exactly how you want to split your time between clnical practice and research before you decide to choose between a PhD and MSc program. Most of the PIs I work with got involved in research right away in medical school and some pursued the Msc but most of them had a good precedence of it by projects throughout college and/or med school and then gained residencies in top research hospitals. You don't need the PhD but I think the MSc would be a good thing to think about if you are interested in including research in your career.

In addition to the more formal research tracks, such as Lerner or joint MD/MSc programs, many schools now offer an option to get the MD itself with "special honors" or "distinction" in research. I'm not sure how many schools have this now, but having the option is rising in popularity. Check with some of the places you may be interested in.

I am involved in research in undergrad and have received some awards and things. I will work this summer as a Research Fellow and will continue my research next year and the next summer. I know it is naive but I've always seen myself being a PI having some teaching responsibilities and seeing some patients. The classic 80/20 or 70/30 academic physician. I originally thought MD/PhD was my only choice but I keep scouring the cv's of faculty at med schools I like and find many doing what I want to do with M.D.'s.. That has some appeal, especially if I can add a year or two to the basic M.D. path.

I have not seen that many formalized Msc. programs with med schools. Is there a list like there is for MD/PhD programs?

Almost every school, at the very least, has some sort of research available. If you really want to end up in academia and feel that your 4 years has not provided you with an adequate amount of research, there is always the option of taking a year off to do dedicated research.

:thumbup:

Just try to go to an MD program with at least an average amount of research. Just about all of them would be happy to let you perform a research year if you really want, and many offer an MD/MS or MD/MA. Many students at Yale and Stanford, among others, take 5 years b/c they do an extra year for research. Definitely look at Duke--they have a year of research included in their 4 year curriculum.

There are many research fellowships available after medical school and residency, as well. Lastly, many residency and fellowship programs have 1-2 years of research built in to the program. So the opportunities are always there no matter where you go to medical school.