Research trip to RainForest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jofrbr76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering if any other SDNer's have been on some cool research trips worth the money.
I am looking for some advice because i'm contemplating whether or not to spend close to
3500 dollars on a tropical disease research trip to south america that only lasts two weeks.

I really want to go, but is this thing going to make my application this june look any better?
I throw in this question not b/c that's why i would want to go on the trip, but b/c of the money
i'm spending to do so. It seems that spending that much would be more justifiable if it also would
aide my app.

Thoughts on this trip/money issue? Can i get financial aide for studying abroad programs like these?

Members don't see this ad.

I went on a research trip to the rainforest two consecutive summers (for 2 weeks each), but it was through my university, and I had all expenses paid. But it was an agricultural study, not tropical disease, so even though the cost was not an issue, I'm not sure it helped me all that much.

I'd say go for it. It will absolutely be worth it both on a personal level and in relation to your resume/application. It will give you something very interesting to talk about during your interviews.

That sounds cool, but I wonder what you would be able to accomplish in two weeks. I would look for something similiar that lasts longer, especially for the large sum of money. Where is the money going? I went to Nicaragua for 2 weeks recently and spent $800 with $500 of that being airfare.

Does anyone else get the sense that this really wouldn't be all that impressive to an adcom anywhy? It just seems like anyone with the money can pay to tag along with researchers for a couple weeks, but it isn't likely that you will prove yourself scientifically in this time. I'm not saying not to do it, actually I think it would be a lot of fun and a great experience, I just don't see how this would really make your application much stronger.