Research v. clinical practicum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm applying this year to balanced and slightly research "lopsided" School Psych PhDs. For my senior practicum, I have two offers:

1) a more micro, clinical type project on transition and inclusion for teenagers and young adults w/ severe disabilities.

2) a more research-focused practicum working on pilot studies for health interventions with adults with diverse disabilities

I have some clinical experience working with college students as well as some experience working with children (both clinical and "typical" populations) but little clinical exp. resulting directly to disability (my area of interest), except for having a physical disability myself. My research exp., on the other hand, is highly focused on disability. Both would allow me to work with people with disabilities, but the first would probably be more clinical-ish in nature. How important is it to have clinical experience with your population of interest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.