Research v. MCAT

coolcucumber91

5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
    Okay I plan to stay at my school to take physics 2 and prep hardcore for the MCAT for the summer. This semester ends at the beginning of May and there is a 2-3 week break before physics starts. I was originally planning to start right away and take advantage of those weeks, and conquer as much bio and gen chem as possible (I took those freshman year and I remember 0). Then, once class started, I will take physics alongside with MCAT prep.

However, that would mean I wouldn't be able to do research. Assuming I do research steadily like I did the past semester, a pub would be attainable in ~6 months. I plan to apply early though by taking the MCAT early. However, I thought maybe it would be better to do research hardcore for the first 3 weeks (8-10 hours a day) and get as much done as possible, and then do MCAT and physics once it starts up. I did 10-12 hours a week and I got a lot done, I can't imagine how much 8 a day would do... plus I would get paid

About the Ads

xroc

10+ Year Member
    Sep 8, 2011
    1. Medical Student
      I've seen lots of friends get ravaged by making the wrong choice in a decision such as yours.

Consider this (although not 100% accurate, it may give you a better picture of what's at stake):

~40% of your application is GPA
      ~40% of your application is MCAT
      ~a fraction of the remaining 20% is research

which do you think is more important?

saveourpens

10+ Year Member
      May 12, 2008
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Okay I plan to stay at my school to take physics 2 and prep hardcore for the MCAT for the summer. This semester ends at the beginning of May and there is a 2-3 week break before physics starts. I was originally planning to start right away and take advantage of those weeks, and conquer as much bio and gen chem as possible (I took those freshman year and I remember 0). Then, once class started, I will take physics alongside with MCAT prep.

However, that would mean I wouldn't be able to do research. Assuming I do research steadily like I did the past semester, a pub would be attainable in ~6 months. I plan to apply early though by taking the MCAT early. However, I thought maybe it would be better to do research hardcore for the first 3 weeks (8-10 hours a day) and get as much done as possible, and then do MCAT and physics once it starts up. I did 10-12 hours a week and I got a lot done, I can't imagine how much 8 a day would do... plus I would get paid

Those research intensive schools you are probably going to apply to won't look at your app if your MCAT is not up to par. Focus on the MCAT.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.