Research v. Volunteering 2nd Year Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gilakend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finalizing what I'm going to do first semester sophomore year and wanted some quick advice.

Originally my plan was to volunteer (about 8 hours a week total at 2 different places) and work as an EMT on the weekends in addition to my classes. Then in the summer between second and third year get into research. However, recently I've been considering dropping the volunteering and adding in research instead. My thought was I can volunteer almost anytime with relative ease and pick it up over the summer or on breaks where as research is more hard to get in and out of. I really want to test the waters with research as it's something I'm interested in but don't want to cut my time to volunteer too short. Also with this second method I would still be getting clinical experience through my EMT job and would also be getting research experience.

What do you guys think? Both options seem good but I feel as if with the second I could get the same experience volunteering as I would during the school year but at another, more convenient time. And in addition to that do research as well. As opposed to the first option which would only be volunteering.

Maybe I'm trying too hard and worrying about not having time too much? I just don't want to short myself any experiences by not thinking it through thoroughly.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Second option. But then again I'm quite biased towards research.

Reactions: 1 user
Do what you are interested in.

I'd say your thought process is probably correct in regards to ease of research vs volunteering. You can volunteer intermittently when you have time. While the ideal is a sustained commitment, I doubt thats a red flag as long as you are doing something. Especially since you already have the EMT experience.

That said you could probably do both if you find the right type of opportunity. Volunteering doesn't have to be 8 hours every week. You could do something 1-2x a month but if you did that for 2+ years that would be more impressive than binge volunteering imo. I did Hospice volunteering in undergrad. Was probably 2x a month max but over 2+ years you gain alot of experiences and it always seemed to go well in interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go with the consistent volunteering. I went a similar route and it's given me a ton of experiences and the long term commitment makes it more meaningful, at least personally. I didn't start research until junior year and I still feel like I've gotten a really significant experience out of it. I even completed an independent project. I felt like I started late but it turned out well because I needed to focus on class more sophomore year - lookin at you, ochem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Find a way to do both.

Research gives you the time to do clinical work on the side as those tend to be flexible when it comes to hours.

But strive to get as much clinical experience as possible for reasons gonnif stated.

In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance at private schools and of low importance to public schools. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)
Find a way to do both.

Research gives you the time to do clinical work on the side as those tend to be flexible when it comes to hours.

But strive to get as much clinical experience as possible for reasons gonnif stated.
I would say go with the consistent volunteering. I went a similar route and it's given me a ton of experiences and the long term commitment makes it more meaningful, at least personally. I didn't start research until junior year and I still feel like I've gotten a really significant experience out of it. I even completed an independent project. I felt like I started late but it turned out well because I needed to focus on class more sophomore year - lookin at you, ochem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What would you guys say about trying to do both as @kmp0410 said? Doing research but still volunteering 1-3 times a month? I would plan on getting at least 10 hours a month most likely more. Is there a downside to this?
Thank you to everyone for the responses!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

8 hours of volunteering per week is quite a lot, at least in my opinion, if you are going to do it for a few years to come. You could possibly cut it down to 3-4 and do a little bit of research during the year. This way you can see how you like it and how much you want to prioritize it in the future. Then again, if you are an EMT you have all the clinical experience you will ever need. I still believe you should have some sort of long-term volunteer experience, clinical or not. Extensive research experience is not necessary at most medical schools, unless you plan to apply to schools like Stanford or MD/PhD programs.

trying to do everything isnt as important as one thing well.

My only concern really is that if I start research too late I will not be able to talk about it meaningfully if asked. Not necessarily from a "med schools want to see this better check the box off" standpoint but just that I am genuinely interested in it. If I were able to land the gig over the summer it would give me about 400 hours of research experience, would this be sufficient?

Thank you for all the insight, its helping me tremendously.

8 hours of volunteering per week is quite a lot, at least in my opinion, if you are going to do it for a few years to come. You could possibly cut it down to 3-4 and do a little bit of research during the year. This way you can see how you like it and how much you want to prioritize it in the future. Then again, if you are an EMT you have all the clinical experience you will ever need. I still believe you should have some sort of long-term volunteer experience, clinical or not. Extensive research experience is not necessary at most medical schools, unless you plan to apply to schools like Stanford or MD/PhD programs.

Is 8 hours really a lot? It would be 4 hours per week at 2 places. One at the local university hospital and one at a local shelter that provides services to the large number of homeless people in my area.

If you are genuinely interested in research, I saw go with the research + volunteering a few times a month. While doing a summer research project is sufficient for most medical schools, it generally won't give you a chance to really see a project through. I went into my research thinking it would be a box checked, and two years later I'm working on my first first-author pub and am looking for research-centric med schools so I can keep it up (aka I'm biased, but my experience was great). Overseeing my own project also gave me far greater personal satisfaction compared to getting food & blankets and sanitizing beds at a hospital. Working as an EMT will provide you with great clinical experience, so I don't think cutting back on clinical volunteering will really hurt you.

It's really up to you, though, I don't think you can really go wrong. Unless you're gunning for a top-10 research heavy school, that is.

Is 8 hours really a lot? It would be 4 hours per week at 2 places. One at the local university hospital and one at a local shelter that provides services to the large number of homeless people in my area.

Even at 3 hours per week, over a year you will have around 150 hours. 4/wk will put you at over 200. That is plenty, and you will (hopefully) be volunteering for more than a single year.