SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

research & volunteer exp

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by warrecg, Aug 29, 2002.

1. warrecg

warrecg Junior Member

Aug 12, 2002
    LA/AL
    does is really matter how much non-clinical volunteering and people-helping you do if you know for sure that you don't plan on having a practice or you know that you won't be taking care of "patients" everyday?? i want to go into a specific type of research, but i was worried about not having enough volunteer experience. i've done some shadowing and a little hursing home work to help prepare for what i'm getting into. thanks for any opinions....

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Omaha
    I think that if you position yourself as someone who understands what it takes to be a doc, but your true passion is medical research, you'll be ok. I would make sure that I had some clinical exposure, though. I would continue with the shadowing. Maybe you could shadow an MD/PHD doc.

4. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2002
    the beach
    If you're applying MD/PhD the volunteer experience isn't too much of a factor as long as you have some. You do have some right? If you're applying MD only and planning to do research it may be challenging to get in. It all depends. If you've had years of research and have some other good things on your application, I don't think your minimal volunteering is gonna matter much.

Also, I hope you have a good reason for wanting that MD as opposed to a PhD alone.

5. warrecg

warrecg Junior Member

Aug 12, 2002
    LA/AL
    neuronix-
    thanks for the info, JBJ, too... that's stuff to definately think about. i have done some volunteer work, i just don't think it is super beneficial to my app., if that makes sense. I've never really thought too much about the MD/PhD route because my pre-med advisor scared me to death. she gave me the it's-way-super-competitive shpeel, followed by (not direct quotes but) 'you're an aero engineer and you think you can walk in the pre-med office and enquire about med-school?? ha.' then she harped on a C in freshman chem (when i didn't even know i was interested in medicine), blah, blah.... and i've made A's in both Ochems since. she was pretty harsh about it so i dismissed the MD/PhD idea, when maybe i shouldn't have. why is it challenging if you want to do research to get just an MD?? i've done undergrad government engineering work/research, and plan to do medical research for the gvt (sort-of, it's a long story) and i really didn't think i'd needed a PhD as well.... but i dunno for sure. and i don't really know who to ask. plus it's 2 more yrs of debt without the salary to back it up. i need to find a MD/PhD to talk to but i'm not sure how to go about that either. i live in nowhereville. i'm on a mission now, thanks guys...

6. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2002
    the beach
    See my PM, we should talk more about this.