Research vs Extra Curricular

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitamorior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my wife is currently getting her BS in biology which I will also be starting soon after my enlistment is over. We are both premed (obviously) and have our own interests within medicine.
Now for our applications to medical school we have our own paths we wish to take, however we are currently trying to find the best way for her right now.
With that, she has an opportunity to go to Honduras this winter on a "medical trip" to basically provide basic necessities to the under-privileged. Now I am aware that extra-curricular's such as this can definitely boost a resume (though personally I think, and there is research to back it up, that foreign aid hurts poor countries), I am a strong believer of research being the top notch resume booster. I am also biased though as I favor research in my medical career.
She also volunteers as an EMR on the weekends (I know EMR isn't much but it's something) and has a 3.75GPA if that helps at all. So which is better?
All things included, it is evident to us that doing both and everything possible is the best option, but that is not the question at hand.

Edit: The Medical Associates reads as such: "Volunteers shadow local and foreign health professionals as they provide pro-bono consultations and medications to patients in rural communities. Volunteers assist with in-take, triage, medication packing, and health education."

TLDNR
To summarize my question, which is better for an application, research or extra-curricular's?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
depends on what schools you want to get into. however, i say research. its way harder to get involved in a significant way, and every school appreciates research (at the very least). however, you should probably make sure you have a good grasp on what medicine is before you just make your resume all research based.

but fyi, you're mostly right. medical tourism is viewed as just that by most adcoms these days

Reactions: 1 users
In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance at private schools and of low importance to public schools as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

View attachment 208602

That is super helpful :) Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your wife can write about how her emr experience helped her and her physician, as well as being able to speak Spanish and not just mindlessly follow orders, I think the trip would be good. This is from talking to a med school professor who says he only values service trips when reviewing apps if the applicant was engaged.

And how long is this trip? Research is a much longer commitment and can also be done during the school year, if she has the time. Just curious as to why it would be one or the other. And her emr volunteering is actually pretty important and I hope she keeps it up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
If your wife can write about how her emr experience helped her and her physician, as well as being able to speak Spanish and not just mindlessly follow orders, I think the trip would be good. This is from talking to a med school professor who says he only values service trips when reviewing apps if the applicant was engaged.

And how long is this trip? Research is a much longer commitment and can also be done during the school year, if she has the time. Just curious as to why it would be one or the other. And her emr volunteering is actually pretty important and I hope she keeps it up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It's a little under two weeks. She doesn't speak Spanish sadly, however all very good tips to keep in mind :) Thank you very much,