Research vs prior service: competitiveness for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoverOfPie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon sirs and ma'ams,

I'm a current HPSP student shooting for some of the military's more competitive residencies. Does anyone here know how heavily research is considered when applying for residency? For example, how would an applicant with 20 publications stack up against someone with 6 years of prior service (all else being equal)?

V/r,
LT Pie lover

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon sirs and ma'ams,

I'm a current HPSP student shooting for some of the military's more competitive residencies. Does anyone here know how heavily research is considered when applying for residency? For example, how would an applicant with 20 publications stack up against someone with 6 years of prior service (all else being equal)?

V/r,
LT Pie lover

There is a point system that I recall being available. I haven’t seen it recently, but I remember research being valuable with a lot of possible research points available. That being said, the services were rumored to have some variance in their application of the point system.

Each competitive residency is a little different. Some will have grade and test score cutoffs for what is an acceptable applicant. If you cross those thresholds, often the residency is looking for someone they can be married to for several years. They want people who play nice and are hard workers. There is no secret to getting what you want. Talk to people in those residencies and then emulate their behavior.

Whatever point system exists is merely a suggestion, not law abiding.

Yes you do get some points for research, I think you Max out at some point, I think 2 publications. And yes you get some points for prior service.

In the end though, I think academics trumps all. I've seen plenty of applicants who had high academic scores get selected over those who had research and prior service.
It's not a very transparent system. Just apply and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read that Army didn't utilize the point system and it was geared toward Navy. Also, the civilian counterparts for the fields I'm considering have averages of publications in the double digits. My plan was just to keep publishing and even if I do "max out" research points, I'd hope the PD would like my productivity. My school is P/F so besides crushing step 2, I feel like this is the only way to distinguish myself (beyond not being a huge boner during rotations/interviews).

Publications will be helpful for sure. They are helpful for fellowship interviews as well if you go that route. Crush step 2, get good clinical scores, and be helpful at your aways. People notice when you are trying to be helpful and not doing so just to brown nose.