research with well-known scientists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasure_island

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if it is true that when you do research with a well-known scientist and get a good LOR from him, that it can totally get You into good schools? like the person i do research with is reallly well known in the medical community and has been nominated several times for the nobel prize. is it gonna have a good effect considering my stats are currently only slightly above 3.0?
(I'm a junior and haven't taken the dat yet, but am preparing for it).

Members don't see this ad.

treasure_island said:
I just wanted to know if it is true that when you do research with a well-known scientist and get a good LOR from him, that it can totally get You into good schools? like the person i do research with is reallly well known in the medical community and has been nominated several times for the nobel prize. is it gonna have a good effect considering my stats are currently only slightly above 3.0?
(I'm a junior and haven't taken the dat yet, but am preparing for it).

Dear treasure_island in Irvine (California),

I think that a good LOR from a well-known scientist is totally the best LOR you can get. (Aside from an LOTR). From what I gather, ad-coms reallly respect well-known scientists. In fact, they're often known to overlook academic records when a well-known scientist is involved.

I knew a guy in my graduating class (he had a hot wife) who got into Colombia, Havard, and Puerto Rico with a 2.2 GPA and lack-luster DAT scores. He went to Ontario. The key to his success: a letter from a well-known scientist for whom he did research (injecting worm gonads).

Come to think of it, his well-known scientist may have even won the Noble Prize (or come reallly close). Anyway, he was well-known enough to write Bill a good LOR and let him date his daughter.

The point is, treasure_island, that between academic record, DAT, and LORs, LORs are the more impotent of the bunch.

Signing Off,

Dr. Archie van Delay, DDS
Pacific '98

I respect what DrVanDelayDDS has to say but I hope it does not cause you to become apathetic in your preparation for dental school. Your GPA is good enough to get accepted so all you need to do is score well on the DAT. If you score well, there will be no question as to whether the letter of rec or your hard work got you in. Nepotism is great but is not as satisfying as personal achievement.