Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Research..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Kochanie, 01.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Kochanie

Kochanie

Pre-Medical
    So I had a great lab this summer. But I didn't know it was for the summer only. I am trying to get into a lab now... and he told me... I can help him with an aspect that isn't very Biological... What do I do?! Should I hold onto my only chance or find another lab?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. phantomcello

phantomcello

Your research doesn't necessarily have to be "biological" since that is a very broad term, as it encompasses botany, zoology, and other disciplines you wouldn't consider to be medically related. You should conduct research in a lab you would enjoy being in, a place that will provide you with a valuable experience to hone your skills as a scientist.

4. Kochanie

Kochanie

Pre-Medical
    That is biological though, he wants.me to have a project that isn't biological.(doing calculations).

5. AquiVoy13

AquiVoy13

Pre-Medical
    If you don't enjoy that calculation/analysis work, then I think you should find a new lab. Does your former PI have any colleagues who are looking for new undergrad lab members? Could he write you a short letter of rec that you could attach to an email and send to other PI's at your school? You should find a lab that you like and can be productive in.

6. Kochanie

Kochanie

Pre-Medical
    Ah! I don't know what to do. My former PI knows this potential PI so it's.kind of a hot mess. Should I email this potential PI and ask to do something else. He was impressed that I tutored calc and that I got a perfect SAT math, but.im rusty to say the least.

7. AquiVoy13

AquiVoy13

Pre-Medical
    If you really don't want to do the analysis work, then don't do it. You can ask to see if there's any more basic science work you could do, and respectfully decline if he says no. Do you have any former/current professors with interesting research? You could always try emailing other PI's at your university. If you do this, make sure to read about their research a bit and emphasize how you would make a long term commitment (ie. want more than just a summer). Also discuss the skills you learned in your summer lab.

gumdrops likes this.
  8. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The research you do doesn't have to be biological or even bench work. The research can be in math, physics, sociology, anthropology, psychology, or anything else. As long as the scientific methods are employed and there is peer review, it counts as research. In your case, the analysis/calculations is part of research and is perfectly acceptable. However, it sounds to me like you don't really enjoy and want to do that type of work. If that is the case I would look for a new lab. You want to enjoy what you're doing so that you can stick with it for an extended period of time.

9. Kochanie

Kochanie

Pre-Medical
    I completely understand that, however... Biology is what I'm interested/better at (despite what he thinks). I know just because I'm pre-med, my whole life doesn't have to be strictly medical, HOWEVER this is not for me.. though he did mention possibly doing Biology. I have emailed several professors with fail... I guess I'm late in the game...

10. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It sounds like you know what the answer is to your original question. Good luck!

11. Kochanie

Kochanie

Pre-Medical
    But at this point, I'm desperate. And he's willing to give me a chance if I put in the time.

About the ads