1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Research???

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by mailee88, Apr 18, 2004.

1. mailee88

mailee88 Member
    7+ Year Member

For Rad Onc, what type of research would you recommend doing prior to match? Do they really look at people who's done rad onc research or can I do cancer research or other types as well?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Thaiger75

Thaiger75 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Research in rad onc is definitely a plus, but having done good research in general is still very good. In my experience, having done more translational oriented research makes you come off as more serious about academics.

4. Savasana

Savasana Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm curious about how my research experience will look, as well. I am currently a second year, and spent my suumer doing research in breast brachytherapy (Mammosite balloon). My project was small, and will likely be part of a larger study published by my PI later on. However, I did all of the work on my portion of it. Do I need to look into other research opportunities? I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would be interested in doing more, but there is no Rad Onc research rotation at my school. Any advice? I know that I don't have Step I scores or even clinical grades yet, but have done well in all my basic sciences so far. I'm serious about the field, and would appreciate advice on what I can do to make myself a competitive applicant.

5. Thaiger75

Thaiger75 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The more research you do, the more it will generally help you, particularly if you're interested in academia. If there is some time between 2nd and 3rd year, you might consider taking up a small project. Realistically, it will be difficult to significantly partake in a research project during your core rotations in 3rd year. In the beginning of your 4th year, however, I would schedule a rad onc rotation and try to get your hands on another project that you could perhaps continue working on as you continue your 4th year. I don't know how flexible your school is on electives, but you might want to look into the possiblity of creating your own research elective as well in your 4th year (it was possible at my school).