Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nico05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im looking to find work this summer as a research assistant or to do some sort of paid internship but I have had no luck as of yet. All of the programs run by labs or Universities have application dates which have already past. Im in the New York area, does anyone have any ideas where I can look??? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

nico5-

While I'm nowhere near you and have no contacts there, I'll share what I've found down here.

After spending a couple of years in research doing primarily real-time PCR and RT-PCR then getting a Master's (finished in 12/04) I've found scoring a lab job tough.

Why?

My problem is that most PI's or lab directors know they'll have to train you and by then you may be ready to leave. Additionally, I know so many researchers are ultra-paranoid about someone coming in and "stealing" their ideas...

Ironically, once in med school it appears people are begging to pay you decent coin to work in their labs...if you're going to school in the fall perhaps you could try at that school?

Anyway, I hope it works out for you ...sadly I'm forced to bartend for a few months and start my MPH early (June). No complaints, though.

Perhaps this is a cultural quirk of Arizona (and also doesn't particularly help someone looking to go into the NYC area), but I've found that "programs" aren't the way to go. Rather, do some homework and find a person researching something you're interested in and then just ask them directly. If they knock you back, well, then just ask someone else. I've found official programs to be a bit stifling as far as limiting my opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I was just thinking... I just recently got a lab assistant job at my university...and it seemed from what I hear that researchers get openings at the end of each semester or at the beginning of each semester...whichever you want to look at it. For example, if you wanted to work for a professor over the summer...perhaps you can start looking now. I dunno if this helped...I have not concrete evidence that this is true...but its sounds logical. I'm an undergraduate student..and I'm sure the opening usually occurs for undergrads since they're the ones leaving for the summer. For a grad position in a lab... I'm sure that'll be different.

I was in the same position as you, and what I did was find a bunch of labs nearby that I found interesting and emailed them my CV. I actually got a very good response and was able to get a paid summer internship. It does depend on the availibilty of such openings, but its definitely worth a try.

Hey thanks everyone, I appreciate it. :thumbup: