snowolf17

5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
im not sure if this is the place to post this (if not could you please tell me where to post) but i am a sophomore interested in orthopedic surgery i am a double major in psychology/chemistry my pre-med advisor has told me that the research done for my psych major will fulfill requirements for med-school applications is this the case? o also how much weight is given by med schools to what college you do your undergrad work at?

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
im not sure if this is the place to post this (if not could you please tell me where to post) but i am a sophomore interested in orthopedic surgery i am a double major in psychology/chemistry my pre-med advisor has told me that the research done for my psych major will fulfill requirements for med-school applications is this the case? o also how much weight is given by med schools to what college you do your undergrad work at?

There is no research "requirement," but many if not most applicants will have some research under their belt. It is more important for med schools that emphasize research. Where you went to undergrad won't matter much, just focus on keeping your GPA up.

Dec 13, 2009
Loooziana
Status
Medical Student
yeah like the poster above me said, there is no "requirement". i didn't have a bit of research, but that didn't hurt me. anyway, im sure med schools will look at whatever research you've done, so it should be fine.
and undergrad institution doesn't matter reallly. gooooodluck!

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What are commas?

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
ivy > state > community college

Between ivy > state, it only matters if everything else in the app is pretty much the same. state > community college matters a lot more b/c upper-division courses and even pre-requisites should ideally be taken at a 4-year institution to show you can handle the workload.