Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A PI I emailed and met has agreed to take me into her lab but at my school, in order to do research you have to submit a proposal of the project. I emailed her last week asking to meet again so we can discuss about it but she didn't respond back until today (about a week later). That kind of gave me a negative impression, and considering the fact that she says I would have to come in at least 3 times a week and be consistent (as in MWF every single week and not MTF the next week) and maybe work over 10 hrs a week and come in during weekends, I don't know if I should be looking for another PI? Also, during our first mtg, she never introduced me to the lab members whereas several of my friends' PIs did that.

Do you guys recommend that I look at another PI? I want a good PI who can mentor and guide me but I don't know if she would be able to do that.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A PI I emailed and met has agreed to take me into her lab but at my school, in order to do research you have to submit a proposal of the project. I emailed her last week asking to meet again so we can discuss about it but she didn't respond back until today (about a week later). That kind of gave me a negative impression, and considering the fact that she says I would have to come in at least 3 times a week and be consistent (as in MWF every single week and not MTF the next week) and maybe work over 10 hrs a week and come in during weekends, I don't know if I should be looking for another PI? Also, during our first mtg, she never introduced me to the lab members whereas several of my friends' PIs did that.

Do you guys recommend that I look at another PI? I want a good PI who can mentor and guide me but I don't know if she would be able to do that.

If you can't make those times then yes you should look for a different PI. Find a PI that will allow for your preferred schedule

PI's can sometimes be late. It doesn't reflect too much on the PI simply because they are very busy and your email is lets face it, not important for them.

This is actually pretty typical. If the PI is well known and you're interested in the work, I'd definitely try to pursue it if you can fit it in your schedule. Otherwise, if ever you have doubts about your ability to follow through on the terms, always look for something else you're sure you can stick with. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions here or via PM. I have extensive experience in both the clinical and basic science fields and start my first year of med school this summer. Good luck.