Researching a residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding an Orthopaedic residency program that I'm interested in.

Here is a little info about myself:
- 27 y.o.
- finishing my first year at UHS
- 3.80 GPA
- certified radiology technician and ortho.
technician
- research project scheduled to begin this
summer.

My problem is that there is only one spot available each year and I don't want to force my family to keep relocating. I have a 7 year old son and my wife is a full-time nursing student. Is there anything I can do starting now to increase my chances? Should I arrange to meet with the Ortho group in charge of the program and observe their operations over the summer? Should I contact them and ask them what they look for in a potential resident? I know that this is very early in my medical education but I think it is never too soon to start preparing for my future.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think that anything that you can do to show interest is a good -- observing surgeries during the Summer is a good idea -- assuming the hospital allows it.

Equally important (for Ortho) is having stellar grades during the first 2 years of medical school. I don't usually say this, but you should work your *** off and try to get as many As, or High Passes as possible. Remember, Ortho is probably one of the hardest specialites to get into, for the spot you want, they'll be plenty of other students competing for it too!

Best regards,
Lee

I would also recommend reading Isserson's book, "Getting into a Residency." It is directed at MS1/2s and could provide you with valuable insight into the process. Furthermore, he also provides information on the people/agencies to contact for additional, more specific facts.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03