Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Researching Med Schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by missbonnie, Jun 14, 2002.

1. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi-

I'm sure there was a thread on this at some point, but the search function is currently off.

What books do ppl recommend besides MSAR? I also have the Insider's Guide. At this point, I'm thinking maybe get another book (I heard Princeton's guide is decent) and then surf the web at various med school sites. I want to make sure that EVERY school I end up applying to is a school I would have no problems going to if it were the only school I was accepted to. And of course, I could ask current students as well.

Thanks! Bonnie

2. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

the best way to do this is on the web. USnews have the links and minimal info about the schools.

3. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This site may be able to give you some insider info, although it's kinda skimpy

<a href="http://www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medresults.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medresults.cfm</a>

4. Anath

Anath Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In regards to USNews -- it actually used to have very nice profiles on medschools with information you don't see in MSAR. However, and damn them for it, they've decided to start charging for all that information this year, whereas in previous years, it was alllll free. It used to even tell you #applied, #interviewed, and the total # offered acceptances (the # included those who were offered admissions from the wait-list). It had been broken down by instate/out of state and even by minority status. &lt;SIGH&gt; Those figures had been very helpful in gauging my chances after having obtained an interview.

If you want to view this information about schools (not just the 50 ranked schools, but all US schools) - the information they provide isn't necessarily so easily found elsewhere, then pay their fee.

5. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks everyone. I'll see how much US news charges for that service. Haven't even looked at their site yet.

-bonine

6. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

That's a very interesting web site with all the kinds of opinions. Thanks Foxy.

7. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

wow! i'm astounded at how frank the students were when surveyed. this is great site, thanks foxy!

8. Anath

Anath Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:D Yes, an absolutely wonderful site! I even used it (with a grain of salt) in making my decisions on which schools to apply to.

But as I mentioned -- with a grain of salt. Many of the interviews are several years old, so things may have drastically changed since then (I wish that you could read individual responses to the open ended questions, and was also given the date of the post). Also, keep in mind the relatively low # of surveys for some of the schools. Can't judge the school by just ie, 1 or 2 responses.