Reserve duty without deployment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to join any branch of the reserves at this time without the possibility of getting deployed?

I'm a practicing radiologist with a new wife and baby in a very sucessful private practice. I'd love to work with a unit on the weekends, and two weeks a year, but none of this months or years in the Middle East business.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Charles said:
Is it possible to join any branch of the reserves at this time without the possibility of getting deployed?

I'm a practicing radiologist with a new wife and baby in a very sucessful private practice. I'd love to work with a unit on the weekends, and two weeks a year, but none of this months or years in the Middle East business.

I wouldnt count on it. You can always play with probabilities but there are no definitives regardless of what people here or elsewhere say. If you do not want to deploy away from your family then I would stay out of the military. I know staff physicians(not GMOs like myself) who have deployed not once but several times. May not necessarily be to Iraq but to Kuwait or Quatar. And there is always Afghanistan. Not sure specifically about Radiology except in Kuwait and Iraq. Alot of Telemedicine going on but not exclusively

Charles said:

I'm currently the Officer-in-Charge of a reserve detachment of Naval Hospital Pensacola. The latest word is that Navy medical reservists (includes MD, RNs, RPhs, etc etc) can essentially count on being activated one full year out of every five, for the foreseeable future. While most of these activations will be to stateside military hospitals (as backfill for the deployed active duty member), there's always the small chance that it's the reservist who will be deployed overseas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Charles said:

:laugh:

That's the whole value of a reservist. Serving one weekend a month and two weeks a year doesn't earn the money they give you. It's the chance of actually using that training (because that's what that is, the training time to prepare you for the potential real job) is what makes you worth your pay.

So I doubt it. While my friends were trying to Palace Chase (move to the reserves), I decided I never would, because the deal was we'd incur two years in the reserves for every year we owed active duty. The reserves are essentially just active duty with a legal requirement to not be activated more than x years every y years (something like 1 year every 3). You will most likely be activated the maximum time legally allowable in today's climate.

Charles said:

Best advice I can give you is don't get involved in the reserves unless you want to be deployed away from home and your practice for a year or longer. I too am in private practice and a member of our group who is a reservist just recently returned from a deployment to southwest asia. He was gone for over a year. It created a severe financial hardship on his family, and devastated his practice, as his patients left to other physicians. Since radiologists do not have a "practice" per se, losing patients would be less of an issue for you, but you could count on a tremendous reduction in compensation.

If this is what you want, go for it.

Charles said:

i knew the answer to this as soon as i saw your specialty.

army radiology, for example, is about 25% understrength right now. some unlucky folks are being deployed 1 year out of every 2. so yeah, i'd say the likelihood of being deployed is approaching 100%.