Reserve opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiremedicMike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, apparently the gravy train known as ASR through the NG is gone, who knows if it will ever return. What are the options for medical students/residents in the reserves. I'm not really particular to any of the branches, so lay it on me..

Members don't see this ad.

Did they finally kill that friggin' program? I've been amazed at how much they've been willing to spend for so long to get so little.

Did they finally kill that friggin' program? I've been amazed at how much they've been willing to spend for so long to get so little.

It's more like it's suspended with no word on if it will return. I'm still on ADOS orders for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more like it's suspended with no word on if it will return. I'm still on ADOS orders for it.
Ditto this. All in it are in it until they graduate. The Army hasn't announced if it's going to return again, though a lot of folks have their fingers tightly crossed. It's a sweet gig.

Ditto this. All in it are in it until they graduate. The Army hasn't announced if it's going to return again, though a lot of folks have their fingers tightly crossed. It's a sweet gig.

Off the record rumor...they are looking to see the percentage of the first round of ASRs who elect to stay in the NG this summer. If numbers are as bad as I expect, the program is probably toast.

Off the record rumor...they are looking to see the percentage of the first round of ASRs who elect to stay in the NG this summer.
That makes so little sense I doubt it really qualifies as a rumor...

The program is in the middle of its third year and everyone who joined ponied up for a six year drilling commitment. So ASR folks won't be "electing" to stay in the NG this summer, any more than a graduating HPSPer "elects" to stay in the Navy. You're committed.

This is a good example why I stress to not take any scuttlebutt seriously until you see something in writing. Military folks talking quickly becomes a bad game of Operator.
If numbers are as bad as I expect, the program is probably toast.
The program was designed to be toast. It was set to run for three years and it ran for three years. Folks are talking about it coming back for a fourth, but if it does, it will come as a surprise, because that was not the programs intent. At least not as per policy documents.

I'm curious to see what the retention rates are going to be like as well. Historically, the Guard has a MUCH better retention rate for docs than the numbers I've seen thrown around for HPSP. I wouldn't make any judgments about the services or the individuals; I have a hunch life's just easier as a doc in the Guard than on the active side.

Check back in three years and we can see what the first small group of ASRs did that are graduating now. Check back in another year for a larger sample...

Last edited: