Reserve Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Rydney

I really do try and get answers to these questions of mine elsewhere. Here's the latest one: Can you get attached to a reserve or national guard unit on hpsp thereby assuring you serve with that unit? If so, is it likely to be taken away from that unit and sent elsewhere, or will you stay with said unit whether it is in active or reserve status?

Members don't see this ad.

I really do try and get answers to these questions of mine elsewhere. Here's the latest one: Can you get attached to a reserve or national guard unit on hpsp thereby assuring you serve with that unit? If so, is it likely to be taken away from that unit and sent elsewhere, or will you stay with said unit whether it is in active or reserve status?

The unit that your 'attached' to these days means absolutely nothing whether your active, reserve, guard, or even IRR.

You can and probably will get tapped to do an IA (individual augmentation) no matter who says they own you.

so start breaking in the desert boots cause your going to need them, and when you get home, don't go getting rid of anything that you needed for the last deployment cause you will go again, its just a matter of when...

i want out

When you are in HPSP you are not attached to any reserve unit. You are IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) You are not activated while in school (except for 45 day Active Duty for Training periods) When you are selected for internship, it will typically be at a Navy Hospital on active duty.

Members don't see this ad :)
The unit that your 'attached' to these days means absolutely nothing whether your active, reserve, guard, or even IRR.

You can and probably will get tapped to do an IA (individual augmentation) no matter who says they own you.

so start breaking in the desert boots cause your going to need them, and when you get home, don't go getting rid of anything that you needed for the last deployment cause you will go again, its just a matter of when...

i want out

Okay, so someone "owns" me and I get sent elsewhere for a while. Do I get to go back to whoever owns me or once you are taken away are you no longer owned by a home unit or whatever you call the "owner?" I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to get attached to a unit that lets me play rambo doc, and not just end up in a hospital, which I can do as a civilian. I had my questions about the possibility of this happening through usuhs and it was a firm negative, so I'm wondering if a med student can get attached to a reserve ranger or special forces unit and have some fun that way?

Okay, so someone "owns" me and I get sent elsewhere for a while. Do I get to go back to whoever owns me or once you are taken away are you no longer owned by a home unit or whatever you call the "owner?" I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to get attached to a unit that lets me play rambo doc, and not just end up in a hospital, which I can do as a civilian. I had my questions about the possibility of this happening through usuhs and it was a firm negative, so I'm wondering if a med student can get attached to a reserve ranger or special forces unit and have some fun that way?

You are assigned to a unit once you are done with residency. That unit "owns" you for your entire assignment. If you deploy to a provisional unit, when you finish your deployment you go back to your original unit.

If things stay the way they are now, you'll have plenty of chances to "have some fun" while deployed.

As a med student or resident you will not be assigned to any kind of special forces unit.