Reserve...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCBShocker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure alot of you have heard of Luke Ballard and his HPSP essay. He says that in a lot of cases the reserve duty incurred for HPSP can be served during medical school. Is this true? I had always assumed that you had 4 years medical school, 4 years residency, 4 years active duty, and then 4 years reserve. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

UCBShocker said:
I am sure alot of you have heard of Luke Ballard and his HPSP essay. He says that in a lot of cases the reserve duty incurred for HPSP can be served during medical school. Is this true? I had always assumed that you had 4 years medical school, 4 years residency, 4 years active duty, and then 4 years reserve. Thanks for your help.

Mmmmmmmmmmm . . . depends.
Everyone, regardless of how long they may think they are in for, owes this "8 year committment." So, you can look at it this way:

4 years med school: doesn't count for payback time, but you incur a 4 year obligation
4 years internship/residency: if you do it in the military, you owe 4 years for the training, but since you're on active duty simultaneously, you can look at it as a wash.
4 years post-residency active duty: think of it as paying back your med school.
4 years reserve: only if your active duty TOTAL (i.e., military residency PLUS active duty) is less than 8 years, you owe the balance to the IRR.

So, lets say you do HPSP for med school: you owe the army 4 years.
Then you do a civilian residency: you incur no obligation, but neither do you pay anything back.
Then you go on active duty for 4 years. You've payed back med school, you owe nothing for residency, but you still owe 8-4=4 years of IRR reserve time.

On the other hand, if you do HPSP and a military residency of 4 years, and then 4 years as a staff MD, you have done 8 years of active duty (residency + payback) and owe no more reserve time.

NOTHING is "served" or "payed back" during medical school.

I won't even pretend to know how this may change if you go to USUHS.

Hope that doesn't confuse things even more.

RMD 1-8-12

8-4+2 = C... Got it =)

Hehe ya I understand. Geuss military residency may be a good option. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
R-Me-Doc said:
NOTHING is "served" or "payed back" during medical school.

That's definitely correct assuming you do HPSP. What about people who pay for med school themselves though? I've heard that if you don't do HPSP, but just take an education delay and pay for med school, you get credited the four years of service.

Sledge2005 said:
That's definitely correct assuming you do HPSP. What about people who pay for med school themselves though? I've heard that if you don't do HPSP, but just take an education delay and pay for med school, you get credited the four years of service.

For promotion purposes only, not for payback.....but I suppose they may change the rules....every other rule gets changed occasionally.