Reservist Role for Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eric714

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering doing the Medical Doctor Reserve program with one of the branches of the military. I'm an Emergency Medicine attending presently, and was hoping to take advantage of some of the loan repayment that they offer. It seems that all the branches offer similar programs, my question is.... which is the best branch (Air Force, Army, Navy) to join and why?

Thanks,
Eric

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest I am pretty sure u will hear this from other people...If you want to do the military for the money it is a bad idea. From a majority of what I have read is if you choose the military for the money you will be miserable even if it is only like a 4yr stint. Be sure that you are positive that you want to do this for all the right reasons is all I am saying.

I'm considering doing the Medical Doctor Reserve program with one of the branches of the military. I'm an Emergency Medicine attending presently, and was hoping to take advantage of some of the loan repayment that they offer. It seems that all the branches offer similar programs, my question is.... which is the best branch (Air Force, Army, Navy) to join and why?

Thanks,
Eric

As an E.M. attending, your skills would be attractive, which means you could be called up and there would be little incentive for the reserves not to do so, since they would not be interrupting your training. I think you should only sign up if you are prepared financially and personally for that possibility. That would mean vacating your job as a civilian and being assigned to a military job at military pay levels. You might only be tasked to backfill at a military E.D. somewhere near you, but there is also the possibility of being forward deployed. And typically, that would mean a big hit to you financially as you drop to military payscale from whatever you are earning as a civilian. That alone might wipe out any benefit you would get from a loan repayment scheme with the reserves.

I really couldn't recommend that you sign up unless you get a written clause in your contract that guarantees you won't be called up for at least a couple of years, otherwise if you did, the arrangement could be financially damaging to you. Remember, a commission comes with an eight year commitment, even if only served in the IRR.

As for which service, I really don't know what to tell you. The Navy and Air Force have a presence in SoCA, so drill could be nearby.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered working 2 more shifts a month? At $1500/shift, that works out to $36K/year. How much is the military offering for loan repayment? I guarantee they'll want at least the time it takes you to do 2 more shifts a month.

If you want to serve the military in EM, I think the guard is the best way to go. If you're trying to pay back loans, I think picking up more shifts or a second job is the way to go.

To the OP: here is what I've been hearing as a fourth year matched into EM and considering the military:

Everyone that I've talked to, from the National Guard, Reserves, and active duty side (Navy, Army) have all hinted (under insistent questioning) that EM folks should expect to be deployed. A LOT. They all try to sugar coat it in various ways, but it's a fact of life. And if you've never been in the military, you may not fully understand what the phrase, "The needs of the service dictate that....", really means. Please know that Uncle Sugar giveth with one hand but what's the other one doing? Crossing fingers? Preparing the shiv?

Cannot speak about the AF.

Which doesn't really bother me at this point in my career and life, plus I'm also prior service. But what about you? Can you, your group, and your family handle a minimum of 120 days away from your family every 12-18 months?

Hope that this helps somewhat.