Reservists/Guardsmen in residency (re: AT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how other Guardsmen and reservists currently in residency handle their annual training.

I understand that annual training is protected federally, but do residencies require you to use two weeks of your vacation time for this? Or is it protected time that doesn't sap away your vacation?

Thanks for any and all help…

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to use one of my vacation weeks for our 5 day AT scheduled in July. I could use military leave, but it is unpaid, and I don't want to prolong residency any longer than need be

I'm planning to use one of my vacation weeks for our 5 day AT scheduled in July. I could use military leave, but it is unpaid, and I don't want to prolong residency any longer than need be
Yeah, I figured it would work like that. My wife's going to love my using 2 weeks vacation with the Guard.

I'm jealous of your 5 day AT. Mine is a full 14.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is a drill weekend + 5 week days, I'm not using vacation as my PD is very military friendly. It is a hassle to schedule around it though, I imagine once I'm out of intern year and in the bulk of my EM training it will be more difficult though. It is easier to be scheduled out of an off service intern rotation.

Your command can't work with you on finding a more creative solution to getting your AT done? I think they have a lot of discretionary power in terms of what they have you do...

The regs are pretty specific that folks on flexi-training have to attend at least one of every two AT's with their unit. SUTA's don't cut it.

So I am in the process of ISTing to another unit in a different state (almost done with PGY-1). Do you guys know if Resident's are allowed to do PHAs? My command seems to believe it to be the case and were thrilled with the idea of a physician albeit one in residency. What have you guys been doing for drill ?
- Former ASR

So I am in the process of ISTing to another unit in a different state (almost done with PGY-1). Do you guys know if Resident's are allowed to do PHAs? My command seems to believe it to be the case and were thrilled with the idea of a physician albeit one in residency. What have you guys been doing for drill ?
- Former ASR

All I do at drill is PHAs and Chapter 2 physicals (state med command). It depends on if you are credentialed yet through the state/CAQH.