Residecy/ Fellowship chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecrivain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
How are you all ?
Please I wanna know , what is the chance for surgeon who worked in UK 4 years, got MRCS , Registrar , Published researches & got 99/99/ pass USMLE
for both Residency or fellowship in US
& which is better to begin with Residency or Fellowship ?

Members don't see this ad.

44 views & no posts yet!!
plz, any one can help me shouldn't hesitate..
where are the pioneers of posts?
where is winged scapula?

1) no one can accurately assess your chances, so these threads are typically not answered but I will offer some thoughts...

2) work experience outside of the US is generally considered, especially the surgical fields, a detractor. US residency programs often find that previously trained physicians are difficult to untrain, do no respect hierarchy (ie, have difficulty becoming an intern again), and refuse to learn how things are done in the US.

3) all FMGs have 99/99 so these scores are actually somewhat expected (and it is assumed that you have spent many many more months than US students studying for the exams, hence the high scores)

4) MRCS - not helpful in getting into a US residency. Research is only helpful if first author, major journal recognized in the US and at academic programs.

5) There are a *few* US surgical fellowships which do not require Board Certification/Eligibility by the American Board of Surgery (which requires a US surgical residency); you might be eligible for those. Otherwise, residency usually comes first and then fellowship. Sometimes you can do a fellowship first, make some connections and then get into a general surgery residency.

Surgery in the US has gotten fairly competitive. There are few open spaces but I cannot say that you (or whomever you are posting about) doesn't have a shot. Other important factors: citizenship/need for visa, US contacts/LORs, US electives/experience, length of time since graduation.

But the bottom line is that no one can give an accurate assessment of someone's chances because there are so many variables involved. Suffice it to say that whomever you are posting about has an uphill battle.

Thank u Winged Scapula..
As I expected that u are the person who would respond me..
in fact I post for someone else not me ..
I hope one day I post to myself for Residency

So what are other possibilities ??
changes his specialty?
continues his career in US as a researcher ? & how much is that useful ?

Regards