Residencies and stipends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasim288

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which residencies pay stipends for post-graduate education/residencies? I know oral surgery does, but I am not sure if that is what I want to do: haven't even applied to a DDS/DMD program yet. But, I am leaning toward GP because of the flexibility of life, degree of cases one gets, less stress, and comfortable lifestyle: don't need to make a ton of money, just 100K and I am happy. The problem is, I am also interested in oral surgery not general surgery and this is my reason.

Not enough people pay attention to the way one's mouth can affect their self esteem, ability to pronounce words, or the ability to interfere with the digestive process. Being an oral surgeon will allow me to increase one's self esteem and to correct birth defects or accidents to one's face. It is a sense of pride, accomplishment, immediate gratification, and duty. Not a lot of people have dental insurance, especially where I am from, and one's mouth, jaw, orbital area, neck etc, is taken for granted. When something bad does happen to that area, it is often followed by the reality of lack of dental converage or hmo/ppo inusrance in some cases. Therefore, giving back to the community and becoming a mentor is my motivation for oral surgery and possibly teach while maintaning an active clinical life.

For GP, it is all that plus the flexibility to drive my own career and build a business while practicing a health care discipline: the best of both worlds.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that the following residencies besides OMFS receives stipends:

GPR (General Practice Residency) - hospital based
AEGD (Advanced Education General Dentistry) - Dental school based
Orthodontics - only some residency programs offer stipends
Endodontics - only some residency programs offer stipends

In my research, stipends all depend on where you are...both geographically and in terms of the school.

For example, some GPR's in big cities (NYC) tend to pay more than other cities. Obviously, the cost of living is higher.

Consider that the stipends for AEGD, GPR, and OMFS programs usually go in your pocket, since there is no tuition involved. Essentially, you are getting paid to work. Of course, there are always exceptions.

As for other specialty residencies (ortho, perio, etc), this completely depends on the school. I've noticed many schools that offer a stipend that matches the tuition. Therefore, you dont incur any additional debt. However, you darn sure aren't making any money.

Often times scholarships go hand in hand with post grad residencies. For example, say there are a few endowments that fund scholarships for school XYZ's ortho grads. Since there usually aren't more than a few residents, each one can essentially count on the scholarship and consider it a "stipend".

I'm certain Pediatric residencies pay too. I think only at BU and UCSF (could be a handful more) make you pay tuition. The rest pay...NYU at the top giving close to 50K per year.