Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Residencies care about undergrad research?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by 218303, Dec 9, 2008.

1. 218303

Medical Student
    When you are applying for residency programs, are publications that you had when you are an undergraduate less important than ones you had during medical school? Do they even care what you did as an undergrad?

One other thing. The past two threads I've gotten some great responses. I really appreciate all those who contribute. I better step it up and start giving my two cents on more threads!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. iduwanna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree that you should step it up a bit with some advice, big C.

That said, UG research won't be ignored and considering your intensity, I'd place bets on you're matching into whatever you want.

4. SomeDoc

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

If published; absolutely. More recent publications hold more weight, so publications during medical school will be of more significance. Exceptions to the aforementioned include first authorship in undergrad publication(s), or publications in major journals as an undergrad.

5. It doesn't hurt! You're going to list them anyway, right?

6. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If it got published it still counts. Also, a lot of these guys can't do math...they're in a hurry. If someone sees a paper published when you were a MS1, from stuff you did a year or two before med school, they won't necessarily know or care that it was stuff you did before med school. The medical relevance of the research matters too... i.e. was it endocrinology and now you are applying for internal medicine, or was it watching monkeys at the zoo and now you are applying for radiology?

7. Acherona

Acherona Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yea i've been asked about research I did back to freshman year of college (not published). They don't read the dates. I think they want to see if you can explain what you did, mainly. Also gives them something to talk about during the interview.

8. howelljolly

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did research 8 years ago, and I did not publish...(the research has since been published without me) I can't discuss what I ate for lunch today, let alone what research I did 8 years ago. Should I not indicate having done this research on my ERAS?

9. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    howelljolly,
    You absolutely should be ready to discuss all research you have done in the past. Remember, you generally just have to know enough to basically explain what you did and have a 5 minute conversation about it. In my experience, research stuff was one of the main things I got asked about during interviews. If you don't remember your research at all, I'd get out any old abstracts, etc. that you wrote, and/or get the paper that was later published and reread it. Or you just have to get good at spouting some BS. Usually if it's not the interviewer's field of research, he/she doesn't really know about it anyway and as long as you say something that sounds reasonable they'll think you know what you are talking about.