Residencies/Fellowships for DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabe Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting at CCOM this fall and I've got a very basic question:

What is the timeline and structure for most residencies?

I have a pretty good understand for MD residencies, but I do not know the exact differences between the MD and DO programs.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I could use some help on this. I went to medschool.com and I got a general description and length of the different programs.

By going into a AOA residency, will I have to spend one extra year of internship for training?

thanks in advance

Whether or not you'll have to do an extra year depends upon a number of factors: specialty requirements, individual program requirements, type of GME (MD vs DO internship and residency, categorical vs advanced standing programs). Even among AOA programs within the same specialty there may be different requirements. Case in point: A friend did an osteo internship during which time she decided to pursue an AOA residency in OB/GYN. The program she chose was AOA but wouldn't accept her osteo internship because theirs was a categorical program. In total she'll do 5 yrs when she really only needed to do 4.

Since you haven't even started school yet it's a little early to start stressing over GME. If you must do something right now, the best thing to do is read Kenneth Isserson's (sp?) book on residency. Near the end of your 2nd year start researching GME requirements. You should schedule rotations in preferred specialties at the beginning of your 3rd year so that if you change your mind (which most people do) you'll have plenty of time to change your plans.

[This message has been edited by Neurogirl (edited 03-11-2001).]